Spur trimming

k625

Songster
12 Years
Aug 14, 2007
Florida
I have read a few articles on here on spur trimming, and see about 10 differnt ways to do this. I have read about using a saw..which that is not something I think I could manage to do safely...for the bird or myself lol.

I like the idea of using a rotary tool..or a dremmel. I use these on my dogs toe nails, and just use the "grinder" or like the sander looking thing. Basically the same thing you see on tv referred to as the pedi paws for dogs. Will this work? Can I just buff down the spur? This way if I get close to the core and start to see any pink Iwill be able to stop.

I also saw a post where someone clamped the spur in a pair of needle nose pliers and basically wiggled the whole thing out, but I would be afraid of some sort of infection of complication with this.

Please let me know what you guys think, and what you have found to work well.
big_smile.png

I would never rip the entire spur out. It attaches to the bone, and having it torn out of their legs has to hurt. They usually limp if your rip it out afterwards, and the wound is very tender too. Me and my dad trim spurs together. I hold the bird in place while he takes a small small saw blade and saws away. Some bleed with this method, but there is no long term damage. I tried the hedge clippers once too, but the spur cracked all the way up to the bone. The poor bird hurt so badly after that. Soaking their feet in warm water or placing a cooled baked potato (still warm but not scalding hot) over the spur will soften it.

I also saw a post where someone clamped the spur in a pair of needle nose pliers and basically wiggled the whole thing out, but I would be afraid of some sort of infection of complication with this.

I think there's quite alot of different views on this, and we did a little research before we took care of ours. We watched youtube videos of the spur removal (one by hand, one by pliers). We have a hen that was split open on both sides from these long spurs...and we opted for the spur removal. My husband held the rooster, and very carefully twisted them off. Yes, they bled a little, which made me nervous. We sprayed blue kote and used neosporin. We kept him away from the girls, but he found a way in within 10 min and he was doing his rooster thing immediately. I thought he'd be sore and would keep his distance, but he wasn't having that! It's been almost a week, and he's doing great.

I know some may not like the way we handled it, but he didn't squirm, didn't flinch, didn't make a sound, and at one point, it looked like he fell asleep.
hu.gif

hope this helps​

Thank you guys! I just dont know if I could pull them out like that...im such a nervous wreck when it come to my own chickens. I could tell some one else really quick how to cull a chicken or anything, but never one of my own lol..Silly me!!

I am going to go see if I can watch the videos on youtube!

A Dremel sounds like the best answer. You can wield it safely, and it is not likely to cause major damage before you can do anything about it. The spur really is a vestigial claw, just like your dog's toenails. If you know how to trim them, use the same knowledge for spurs!

Its going to be my bantam polish. The yare about 1/2 inch long or so...not anything awful..but I just dont really like them a whole lot, and dont want my hens hurt.

I just dont know if I could pull them out like that

You don't really pull them OUT, it's more like pull them OFF. We pulled off the outer shell of the spur. There's a part inside that will always remain, and they will grow back. They are kind of like a finger/toe nail. But again, there was some bleeding at the very tip... and we were nervous, but I have my hubby to thank cuz all I did was hold the other leg. Good Luck!​

ive just come across some videos on Youtube.com ; it doesnt look like the roosters are in pain at all.
check them out, maybe it will help.

Back
Top Bottom