Spurs on my hen?

sharonpavey

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 8, 2015
Texas Gulf Coast
Has anyone had a hen with spurs? I received 2 hens for my birthday from my kids. The feed store where they were bought said they were Production Reds. One of them lays very fragile eggs that break when my broody hen tries to sit on them and she either has spurs or a high 5th toe. She is definitely a hen but the spur has me baffled.

Sharon in Texas

Thanks for the quick replies. Who knew? I'll try to send pictures. She's the sweetest hen I have. Loves to be petted and follows me everywhere. Her name is Bertie.

Not sure how old she is. My daughters got her from the local feed store on April 25th so I haven't had her for even a month yet. She is laying but the eggs are pretty fragile and the color is varying shades of brown. I also call her pucker lips.

I've never personally had a hen with spurs, but I know that it does happen to older, dominant hens occasionally.

I don't think she's very old and she's very docile. The 2 older hens, a Red Sex Link and an Australorp both let her know her place in the pecking order. I'm about convinced it's just an anomaly with her. Maybe a 5th toe. I'm not going to be concerned about it. Was just curious. Thanks for all the replies.

Back
Top Bottom