Spurs on rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by shannon84, Nov 6, 2018.

1. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Oh, trim down to a 11/16" in length...
    not trim off 11/16"..
    Sorry, I misunderstood.

shannon84 and WVduckchick like this.
  2. I am also sorry that I wasn't clearer.

shannon84, WVduckchick and aart like this.
  3. arrowti

arrowti Songster

Jul 20, 2014
    Maine
    Not quite on topic but related- what reason do you trim spurs? I've had roosters for 4 years and never trimmed them. One of them seems to shed a spur every year (this year he shed his right spur, last year he shed his left) and it regrows quickly. Maybe he's just an oddball, my game bantam never shed any spurs...

Is it just for protecting the hens from possible spur injury? Or abnormal spur growth? I guess if spurs grow like some horns they could curl around and hurt their leg. Just curious (and interested!).

Shadrach likes this.
  4. HollyWoozle

HollyWoozle Chirping

Jun 12, 2018
    United Kingdom
    We trimmed/filed Olaf's because he had wounded three hens quite seriously. My family have owned chickens since before I was around and have often had cockerels, always without issue, but I think Olaf doesn't have the best conformation and technique perhaps. We have had no problems since just lightly trimming the ends and filing them smooth.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    You've answered your own question....
    ....not sure if you read the whole thread, but IIRC those things were already mentioned.

oldhenlikesdogs and WVduckchick like this.
  6. It seems that your rooster has hulled his spurs perhaps by taking a lick at some errant hen or juvenile roo and wrenching off the exterior of his spur on some hard surface like the pen or coop wire. Hulled spurs will regrow, after a fashion but a rooster who has slipped his spur or spurs (slick legged) will never regrow a spur.

oldhenlikesdogs likes this.
  7. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Puppy Dreaming

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I do it because they get so long it interferes with them walking and roosting. I don't trim them if they seem fine. I also will trim any that look particularly nasty and pointed.

shannon84 likes this.
  8. shannon84

shannon84 Songster

Jun 1, 2016
    Indiana
    Same here he was clanking them together when he walked, plus I did it for the hens, for his walking/roosting comfort as well....

9. shannon84

shannon84 Songster

Jun 1, 2016
    Indiana
    Same happened to me I broke a huge pair of dog nail clippers, it's unreal how thick and hard those spurs get. He has white spurs and I try to see where his quick ends. So hard to judge it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: