Spurs on rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by shannon84, Nov 6, 2018.

1. shannon84

shannon84 Songster

Jun 1, 2016
    Indiana
    OK, so the tape helps blunt the end of spurs, and you doing this after you cut the tips? I had no idea a rooster could bleed to death that way! That's so scary!

2. shannon84

shannon84 Songster

Jun 1, 2016
    Indiana
    Is this how you do your roosters? That's amazing that it seals it off! Can that get infected?

DaviJones likes this.
  3. shannon84

shannon84 Songster

Jun 1, 2016
    Indiana
    She did make that look so easy thank you!

WVduckchick likes this.
  4. I've never had a rooster get an infection because his spurs were trimmed.
    I have trimmed thousands and if you use caution you will never cut off enough spur to draw blood. Try to cut about 11/16 of an inch long or maybe a little more. There is also no good reason that the smallest woman on Earth can not cut off a roosters' spurs using a spur saw or a hack saw blade. The biggest problem I had with dog nail clippers is breaking them on large spurs.

The soap or bees wax also acts as a lubricant to make the sawing go easier.

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  5. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    Use a file! Roosters are supposed to have spurs and I don't understand why people insist on cutting them off. There may be a need to remove a sharp point because of the risk of cutting the side of a hen during mating but after that....why trim them?

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    This^^^
    I just nip the very tip off then file it a bit so it's not so sharp.
    Unless the spurs are so long it interferes with his walking or pokes him in the butt while roosting there's no reason to cut them shorter.

Here's a spur I saved when slaughtering a cockbird.
    The line is where the tip of the quick was and you can see I filed the tip to dull the point.
    upload_2018-11-8_7-39-58.png

I think you meant one/16" and not eleven/16"??

Soon2BChixMom and HollyWoozle like this.
  7. HollyWoozle

HollyWoozle Chirping

Jun 12, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I just had to start trimming for the first time a few months ago, after our cockerel wounded some hens. I used dog nail trimmers and a file and just trimmed off the sharp point and filed it smooth, as well as doing the same with his claws. I found the quick grows very close to the end of the spurs and claws in our cockerel and once I did go a little too far and just hit the very end, but I had a sort of stypic pen that you dip in water and rub on the end and it sealed it immediately and stopped bleeding.

The cockerel was eating out of my hand the next day and seemed to suffer no ill-effects, whilst all hens have recovered and have not been wounded since. I found it best to see the quick by doing this in the dark (taking him off the perch after he'd gone to bed) and shining a bright torch through the spur. It is hard to see so just go easy and trim the very ends.

Good luck! :)

Criticalicious and aart like this.
  8. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Puppy Dreaming

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    This is why I trim mine. Some of my older roosters get really long butt poking spurs.:)

9. No, I would never allow a cock bird to have a spur longer than about an inch. Then once the spur is trimmed the first time there is never a chance that there will be a sharp point to harm either the hen or the human.

10. DelaneyMGB25

DelaneyMGB25 Songster

Jan 14, 2018
    Illinois
    I use many methods, depending on the bird, and the amount of spur needing trimmed. I use mostly a dremel, and take off small pieces as a time, and the closer to the quick, I switch to sanding/grinding it down. I also only grind/sand if a sharp point needs removed. I also use dog clippers for sharp points. The second method I use, which has been stated above, is a hack saw with some bees wax (I take a bit of my Burt’s bees wax chapstick and rub on there) and hold the spur to a light so I don’t get to sawing where the quick is.

chickengeorgeto likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: