Squatting, is it quick?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by vjbakke, Jul 29, 2011.

1. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    One hen maybe squatting, is it a fast thing? my daughter went to pick her up and she quickly put her wings down by her side and squatted down, the whole thing was only about 2 seconds long, is this a squat? She did it 3 times when I was in the run with them today, quick just like the first one. Can you tell we are first time chicken parents anxiously waiting our first egg!? lol

2. farmerinKC

farmerinKC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Kansas City, Missouri
    I hope so. [​IMG] That's what one of mine is doing. 15 week old golden comet.

3. wdc1952

wdc1952 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2009
    Kearney, Missouri
    You would squat to if you trying to force an egg out [​IMG]

4. CandiceN

CandiceN Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    NH
    That's what mine do. It lasts longer is if I reach down to pet them a bit. Although I am pretty sure all three of my 5m old RIRs are laying now (found 3 eggs today for the first time) and only 2 squat, so I have no idea how much of an indicator it is!

Good luck!!!

5. vjbakke

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    Great! She is has the most developed and red comb and wattles. So far shes the only one doing it. Shes a almost 18 wk old golden comet. She is also very noisy when I am out there with her, or just getting near the run and she's loud!

6. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    Quote:Actually, this "squatting" you and candace are describing has to do with mating, not with laying. We you approach a hen and she squats like that it means she is expecting to be mounted. She thinks you are her rooster, so to speak--and in a way you are, as far as she is concerned. It's common, especially so in flocks without a rooster, and especially if they have been hand-raised. But it has nothing to do with laying, per se. [​IMG]

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

...except that they tend to start squatting when they are becoming sexually mature, and start laying eggs shortly afterwards. It's just a sort of conditioned response indicating submission during mating.

Not all hens will squat for people. Hens which squat may or may not continue to do it for people. Some hens never squat, even for roosters!

8. vjbakke

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    Quote:That is what I was thinking!

9. kurt s

kurt s Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2010
    Southern Maine
    All my hens; squat even the rooster!! Does this mean he's gay??
    (not that's there's anything wrong with that)
    [​IMG]

10. Buff-Island-Australorp

Buff-Island-Australorp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Bixby, OK
    I recently experienced this. (3 days ago) You'll recognize it when it happens because it's totally new behavior. When a hen did this the other day, I immediately recognized it as such. It's not so much that its a quick action, more like sudden. Mine stayed squated even after I stopped petting her back. She lets me pick her up without hesitation, whereas before, I had to force her to let me hold her, and any time I tried to touch her, she'd run for cover.
    You'll know it 100% if it's a totally new behavior you've never seen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by