Squatting when I pet them. What does that mean?

20150727_180312_zps2dnubkon.jpg

Hooray!

A few of mine started squatting about a week ago and we got our 1st 2 eggs (blue/green from one of the Americuanas) 3 days ago and our 1st brown one yesterday... One of my usually aloof Silver Laced Wyandottes squatted for me for the 1st time today.... Hopefully a sign she'll start laying soon if she isn't already... I've only figured out 1 of the 12 that has laid... I'm so excited!! This is my 1st attempt at raising chickens! I'm obsessed with them now!
Ursula... one of my Wyandottes in the punkin patch

Our eggs thus far....
1f601.png

Last edited:
So happy I found this! I've had a few "squatters" this week with sneaking suspicion they were in mating position (after growing up with a little parrot who did this now and then). Whatever it is, I'm glad as I finally get to "snuggle" my girls and stroke their beautiful feathers! The best is when I pet their combs and cheeks and they close their eyes... Love them!!

My husband calls our girls his little butt dippers. One day, Husky was squatting, and he gave her some rather... Vigorous, petting.
I told him he basically just had sex with the chicken, and he replied, " no, just some lovin's!"
... Yeah... rooster style lovin's!

My Gretta (RIR) squatted today! I actually got to pet her while she squatted. I read where it is good to scratch her back firmly is a good thing. I'm hoping my first egg will be this weekend.

I knew what squatting meant & that new squawk too.. my sussex girls are over 21 weeks..wyandotte are 21 and black sex link 20.. Now' they have to get Over their disbelief & anger that we suddenly won't let them free range! It occurs to us that we'd have to go looking" for eggs under trees .. so more nest construction going on..and i'm starting to supplement their diets.. they have room to flap & fly a bit.. but is it best to keep them near their nests until they're used" to laying ?? The complaining is loud.. they had me trained' to let them out!!

Back
Top Bottom