Squealing hen and other strange noises

A neighbor had a roo that sounded just like Louis Armstrong! Always made me laugh.
lol.png

Quote:
The most talkative breed I have are my Anconas (my daughter calls them "Talkies"), but the next most talkative seem to be my Black Stars.
I like to hear my chicken's talk...

lol Talkies, I love it! I have a golden phoenix hen that we call our sweet little talkie bird. She just twitters away at us all the time and she's still as nuzzley as a little chick. lol My bantam brahma sounded like a little sports whistle when she was a chick and now she sounds like a rusty bike horn. I love all the sounds chickens make. Especially the sounds that they must use in movies for dinosaurs. They have quite the vocabulary for sure!

As for crowing girls, my boyfriend and I caught our little mille fleur d'uccle hen trying to crow once. We couldn't believe it. I didn't know they did that. Talk about ridiculous! Squeaky little thing!

Since my chickens have grown up and are still in the garage, everynight I've listened and learned there is a huge vocabulary we don't usually hear! They mutter and talk and grump far more than we know Probably for the better! When my sweet husband actually gets the coop built I will miss all the midnight ramblings!!
pop.gif

I love listening to the "discussions" about who gets to roost next to whom. I imagine I can almost understand them: "Stop shoving me." "Get your butt out of my face." "Can I sit next to you or are you still in a bad mood?" "Did you see that big worm Matilda got today and she didn't even share?" "BAWK!!! Who farted?"

Our rooster says, "looklooklooklooklooklook" when he finds a goody for the girls. He picks it up and tosses it down like a love offering at the feet of the nearest hen. Then he eyes it from side to side and keeps saying "looklooklooklooklook."
lol.png

I have a red sex link (I think) that barks! It isn't a bawk. A Bawk would be more like baawk. Her bark is quick, sharp, and middle tone. It gets my attention, and she ends up getting extra treats. (smart chicken!)

Can someone tell me if I have a strange bird or is it normal for my Jersey Giant to honk. My Aussie has the normal baak baak sound but the Giant walks around all day saying "honk, honk" or sounds like she's giving a warning of "hawk,hawk". She will go back and forth with me doing the noise and seems to enjoy this but my hubby thinks shes confused because shes raised with 2 pekin ducks.

Back
Top Bottom