1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Squealing hen and other strange noises

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CarolynPerth, Feb 11, 2010.

1. CarolynPerth

CarolynPerth Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2009
    Perth
    This is funny. I had a hen that crowed for a while but she settled down after she became the dominant hen. Now one of my younger girls has decided to have a go at crowing but manages only a squeak. She also squeals with excitment when I go out to feed them. Scared me the first time I heard it, sounds like a child shreiking.

I didn't realise hens made so many different sounds. My best layer makes excited chuch chuck sounds as she dashes off to the nest in the morning (no she won't lay in the box, but under a bush that she chose) then she sits there growling and chirruping until the job is done, then she does the egg song for around 10 minutes..

2. ChookHappy

ChookHappy Dances with Chickens

Oct 12, 2009
    Petaluma, Ca
    LMAO that's too funny! I have a squeeker too. Our SLW is teetering right on the edge of mute. Our Black Star just never shuts up all day long lol.

3. kcsunshine

kcsunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Maryville, Tennessee
    You know, now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever heard a sound out of my SLW. Of course I'm not around when she lays.

4. lauriruth

lauriruth Chillin' With My Peeps

Aren't they entertaining?!!!! My SLW is very quiet, RIR gets left behind constantly - looks up and calls (loudly) for someone to rescue her, my BO honks loudly - like a goose, and my Black Star sings to me when she sees me coming...sort of a long, sustained sentence with the tone going up at the end, like a question...soooooo adorable. who knew? my RIR is the only one that does the egg song...and she's not shy about it either![​IMG]

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

My Cuckoo Marans sounds like she's honking. Not like a horn, but sorta like a goose. But not like the "HAWWWNK" of a goose, more like a low honkish beep. LOL. She's very talkative and sometimes her vocalizations sound interogative, like she's asking questions. My SLW is very silent. The EE pullet is fairly quiet, but the EE rooster is quite talkative (in addition to crowing, that is). My black Australorp almost purrs sometimes. It's a lovely trill sound.

6. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    My SLW and GLW are the quietest of the chickens that I have. One of my EE is a bussy body adn anytime someone is heading to the nesting boxes the entire neighborhood has to know. [​IMG] The can make some of the most crazy noises that you would have never thought could come out of a chicken. [​IMG]

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I had a BO that honked like a goose. My EE and my welsummers make a trilly sound, like a purr. My EE also has a sound like a blue jay, usually when she's sees me coming out with treats!

They make LOTS of different sounds, I love listening to them.

8. journey11

journey11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    WV
    It always makes me feel good go down to the coop and the girls are so happy to see me. I love their chatter. They are always expecting a treat (whatever the toddler has refused to eat for the day!) I have one that perches back out of the way while the others are swarming excitedly and she makes a sharp "chuk, chuk" noise. Another stands at my feet and growls at me impatiently. They really do have a varied and expressive "vocabulary"! [​IMG]

9. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

LOL! My hen sounds like a little old lady, "WHAaaaaaaaaaaaaatttt?"

10. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:The most talkative breed I have are my Anconas (my daughter calls them "Talkies"), but the next most talkative seem to be my Black Stars.
    I like to hear my chicken's talk...

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by