Squeeky Quail Chick

quail2012

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 28, 2012
Hi,

I have hatched 3 baby quails (first hatch) only a few days ago.

One hatched on day 18 and the other 2 hatched on day 19.

The first quail went into the brooder first the the others joined a day later. They all get on well, although the first chick keeps squeeking alot. I'm not sure if this is normal but wanted to check. The other chicks make noise but not as much as the first chick. The first chick had a sprayed leg although after putting in a rubber mat is alot better.

Temprature is around 34.5 degrees.

Any ideas....

34.5 C might be a tad cold for new hatchlings. You could try upping it a degree or two. But many first hatched chicks do a lot of screeching. At least I have heard it a few times before. Sometimes they bond with the first thing they see and that is you. So they can call and call for hours waiting for you so show up.

So, he could be cold, he could be lonely, hungry or thirsty. Make sure he knows where the water is by dipping his beak in the water dish. Keep food sprinkled around at his feet and keep him warm.

I had one that screeched all night long for the first 4 weeks of it's life till I would get out of bed and look in on them. The bird would then pipe down for a few hours and then start up again. LOL Quail are loud as babies.

But that does not mean it is always normal. Keep an eye on him for any issues.

Thank you for your response. I will try putting the temprature up slightly. When I checked on them this morning all 3 of them was fast asleep next to each other
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom