squirrel and raccoon proofing question

slg

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 15, 2009
SF Bay Area
Just finishing up a lovely little coop -- live in an urban area with lots of squirrels and raccoons. Hasps on all the doors but we aren't sure what to lock them with -- hasps are those hinged locking plates that allow a gate or door to be padlocked.

We want easy entry but want to keep the chickens as safe as possible. Can a raccoon open a carabiner? Should we just close them with some twisted wire? Other ideas?

I use combination padlocks and carabiners. I've never had anything get through the carabiners, but I know others have, so the birds I really want to keep safe are padlocked in.
Good luck.

I have all my fasteners backed up with carabiners (what is the correct spelling anyone?). I haven't heard or read of a coon opening one yet, I tend to think padlocks are a bit of overkill. BUT, I do have two fasteners on each door. A slide lock, with caribener back up in the hole, and a hasp, with back up. The bottom of the door has a fastener so nothing can pry open the corner. During the day I often just use the slide lock without the backup, but at night everything is locked tight.

I use carabiners on all my doors/nest boxes on my tractor. no breakins yet and I have had raccoon try to get in. they ate a little chicken food through the fencing before I caught them all in a live trap. They had about 2 weeks to to try to figure out the carabiners before I got them all.

Back
Top Bottom