1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

squirrel and raccoon proofing question

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by slg, Oct 12, 2009.

1. slg

slg In the Brooder

Aug 15, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Just finishing up a lovely little coop -- live in an urban area with lots of squirrels and raccoons. Hasps on all the doors but we aren't sure what to lock them with -- hasps are those hinged locking plates that allow a gate or door to be padlocked.

We want easy entry but want to keep the chickens as safe as possible. Can a raccoon open a carabiner? Should we just close them with some twisted wire? Other ideas?

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I use a carbiner, but the raccoons here don't mess with the chickens.

Imp

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I use combination padlocks and carabiners. I've never had anything get through the carabiners, but I know others have, so the birds I really want to keep safe are padlocked in.
    Good luck.

4. chookchick

chookchick Songster

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    I have all my fasteners backed up with carabiners (what is the correct spelling anyone?). I haven't heard or read of a coon opening one yet, I tend to think padlocks are a bit of overkill. BUT, I do have two fasteners on each door. A slide lock, with caribener back up in the hole, and a hasp, with back up. The bottom of the door has a fastener so nothing can pry open the corner. During the day I often just use the slide lock without the backup, but at night everything is locked tight.

5. patman75

patman75 Songster

I use carabiners on all my doors/nest boxes on my tractor. no breakins yet and I have had raccoon try to get in. they ate a little chicken food through the fencing before I caught them all in a live trap. They had about 2 weeks to to try to figure out the carabiners before I got them all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by