Squirrel infestation!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Gvnam, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Gvnam

Gvnam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    I am having squirrel problems. They get inside of the coop while my chickens are out and steal food. The worst part is that they steal it using their mouth pouches, so they take a lot at a time. Today they took about a pounds worth of feed from my coop. Any suggestions on how to deter them? I don't want to spend the money on a trap and I don't really want to shoot them. I've been shooting towards them but even that doesn't seem to help. Chasing them doesn't work either. Any suggestions before I actually have to pump some lead in them?

Just so you know, my rooster only chases them off if they get too close to the flock.

Thank you!!

2. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I suggest putting the chicken feed inside a metal feed bin and close it up or perhaps get a small dog and train it to only chase squirrels

3. Gvnam

Sep 16, 2011
    They are actually eating the feed directly out of the feeder, and I have a chicken friendly lab but she is an inside dog and doesn't like to be out by herself.

E: She strongly dislikes squirrels though. She is great at chasing them down. The thing is someone would have to be waiting for the squirrels to let her out after them.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  4. SilkieBantams

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    The only way you can get rid of them is by shooting them as they'll just keep coming back for your chicken feed

5. Gvnam

Sep 16, 2011
    Alright. My pellet rifle should handle that. Gotta add about 2 more .17 hollow points to my shopping list. [​IMG]

6. zathura12

zathura12 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2011
    [​IMG]

7. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    Fox or coyor urine might help. It won't scare your chickens as they barely have a sense of smell. Good luck!

8. Gvnam

Sep 16, 2011
    Four down and a bunch to go!

9. SilkieBantams

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    How are you dealing with those squirrels lately?

10. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Quote:So far nothing has worked going to live trap them and drive them far away if I can if not I will have to shoot them since they cost me tons in food

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by