How to keep possum away

Quail_

Chirping
Apr 8, 2023
I had a possum come inside my coop tonight. Me and my brother chased it out the first time then we sprayed it to get it out the second time. No lives were lost but food was stolen. Thankfully it was a baby.

But i dont want these little bastards back. We already plan on upgrading the door to make it more difficult to get inside. But besides that how can i keep them away?

If anyone has any suggestions on how to keep other predators away aswell please share them!

Attachments

• 20231110_200239.jpg
    20231110_200239.jpg
    444 KB · Views: 139
Hardware cloth to secure the coop. But it will be back now that it's found the coop. Trap and release per local laws and common sense - out in the forest. I would kill it at the next chance.
Thank you!

My dogs are inside pets so I discourage them from killing small predators .Not only do I not want to see any harm come to either one of my dogs I don't want a bloody mess to clean up afterwards .They're trained to sound alerts only(I have to drag them away sometimes) My chickens are locked up tight at night in a predator proof coop and run (we have coyotes, bob cats, coons, bear,etc )I have a whole family of possums I'm going to have to dispose of soon because my dogs bark non stop when they come around after dark

My dogs are inside pets so I discourage them from killing small predators .Not only do I not want to see any harm come to either one of my dogs I don't want a bloody mess to clean up afterwards .They're trained to sound alerts only(I have to drag them away sometimes) My chickens are locked up tight at night in a predator proof coop and run (we have coyotes, bob cats, coons, bear,etc )I have a whole family of possums I'm going to have to dispose of soon because my dogs bark non stop when they come around after dark
I completely understand! We seem to have the same setup or mindset atleast! Although my dogs just dont protect or are trained to do what your dogs can! Unfortunately one of my dogs did find the possum and i wasnt able to do anything.

I wanted to trap it and realse it far away in a new location where it was safe and had food and water. Unfortunately its now in a better place and is safe. Im not happy with the circumstances and will be updating my coop

I completely understand! We seem to have the same setup or mindset atleast! Although my dogs just dont protect or are trained to do what your dogs can! Unfortunately one of my dogs did find the possum and i wasnt able to do anything.

I wanted to trap it and realse it far away in a new location where it was safe and had food and water. Unfortunately its now in a better place and is safe. Im not happy with the circumstances and will be updating my coop
My basset had a possum hemmed up last night but I made him come inside. I'll have to trap them or they'll keep coming back.I don't want to shoot and bury them.( depressing)

Back
Top Bottom