Squirrels are a huge problem.

OP - can you post photo's of your run and coop? Chicken wire is only good for keeping chickens in, not others out. Maybe you're free ranging or have a huge run, but if not then you can probably make it predator proof (including squirrel!).

Have to be honest, we have a huge population of squirrels here but I've never considered them a predator - at worst they dig little holes in my lawn to bury their nuts :)

The squirrels are seriously, a HUGE problem. My rooster even was attacked by one when he was protecting his flock... he was bleeding on his crown. So upset. But the will not stop breaking into the coop! They are mean and eat all of the chicken food. The chickens are scared. They hide inside the sleeping part until I chase the squirrels away! I can’t even yell or hiss at them anymore. It does nothing. There will be five at a time, swarming the run... like three inside. We are doing everything. Now some of them are getting stuck Inside the coop Bc we keep trying to squirrel proof it. So they get in, then forget how to get out... it is incessant. It’s a real huge problem, more than I can describe. I am throwing seeds in the front so they stay away from the back.. as soon as I turn my back and go inside- there they are again... really frustrating. Looking out from my window- I thought it was a groundhog- that is how big they are !!! 😂 need some really good advice. And mind you- they have two coops inside a large run, wrapped in chicken wire lol
Squirrels are tough to stop if there are several working together. You need a treadle feeder with a stiff spring on the door and even that isn't guaranteed but, squirrels will get trapped in a spring loaded inward swinging door chicken feeder. So hang the feeder so you can easily remove it from the wall or post. Hold the door closed and dump the feed from the hopper into a trash can so you can save the feed. Then dunk the entire feeder into another trash can filled with water.

The good news, if you can get the right treadle feeder, assuming you have full sized birds, and set it stiff enough the squirrels will quickly learn that they have to compete for food and a territory war will occur till one squirrel is left. Once the herd is thinned down there is an excellent chance that the feeder will stop his furry behind or he will trap himself. The territory will then be open and other squirrels will move in but they will fight to keep the territory for themselves. Once squirrel can be stopped, five like you described, going to be harder.

i declared war on the squirrels after i started gardening around here .. i tried everything short of a firearm, i do live rural but dont like to pop off guns unless critically necessary .. thats how i wound up with a benjamin marauder in .25, expensive, but lethally accurate, normal spring air pellet guns wont work on a real problem .. the benjamin did, nothing survives once theyre in the crosshairs at a reasonable range lol ... i had to stop because i dont want 'no squirrels' i actually like the little critters, just not when theyre out of control ... my most recent dispatch was a squirrel that decided the coop was his and would actually chase my free roaming hens away and wouldnt let them get on the nest ... yeah that wasnt gonna fly ...

OP - can you post photo's of your run and coop? Chicken wire is only good for keeping chickens in, not others out. Maybe you're free ranging or have a huge run, but if not then you can probably make it predator proof (including squirrel!).

Have to be honest, we have a huge population of squirrels here but I've never considered them a predator - at worst they dig little holes in my lawn to bury their nuts :)
I was wondering too if you can post a picture of your setup. We have both Grey Squirrels and Fox Squirrels. They Grays do the damage so I eliminate them. The Grays chewed our cable TV wire at the pole next to the house and at the pole on the street. They also chewed the windshield wiper tubing on our truck. What a pain that was to replace. They had to go.
IMG_20190109_161656.jpg

A bit surprised Al's rat proof treadle feeder would not easily defeat squirrels, but he would know best.

In short run, if you don't already have an air rifle or .22, you can cross that off the list. Shelves have been swept nearly clean of all forms of guns and ammo.

What you could try is a 110 body grip trap. These are relatively cheap ($6 each) on ebay, and are lethal. Think of them as a 4" sized rat trap on steroids. These could be setup in the upper regions of a chicken house or run, or even on trees outside the house. Set up 3 or 4 of these at a time and herd will dwindle in a hurry.

Other baits to try are unsalted peanuts (in the shell), or a mini sized piece of bit=0=honey candy.

These traps work for rats too. Same baits.

Correction......made my once monthly trip to Walmart this morning and they did have a cheap Ruger springer air rifle in .22, plus ammo to go with it.

Might not be able to hit the side of a barn from the inside, but it would certainly whack a squirrel if you could hit him. At least until it falls apart.

Back
Top Bottom