squirrels?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by bufforp89, Dec 24, 2010.

1. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    I just noticed this morning how many squirrels have started to make their home in what I call my chicken compound. I have several small coops, pens, fences and my big barn spread around about a half acre and as I was walking out this morning I noticed 7 squirrels. There have been hanging around that I was aware of but seven just seems like a lot.

I am wondering if they could be having an impact on my chicken feed. It seems like I am spending way more on feed this year then last. I know part of the reason is some of my second year buffs have been spending most of their time inside rather then out foraging for what they can and I am wintering more stock this year then any other. So could they be having a huge impact on my feed bill? I am prepared to eliminate them if I have to.

2. darbella

darbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:I have also noticed a lot more sqirrels this year as well as Chipmunks. My biggest issue with them is the lice and fleas they have and I dont want to end up with a flea infestation. I think there are some also living in the walls of my house because in the early evening I can hear them scurrying and rolling aocrns around. We are planning on setting kill traps necause I had a friend that had to have all the wiring in her house replaced because the chipmunks chewed it up!

3. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I would lessen their numbers.I have issues with them getting into my plantings.Have not noticed them eating layer feed,but I am sure there will come a time when they do;especially if they notice the scratch!

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Squirrels will have a huge impact on your feed bill. I had a similar issue this year and after actively dealing with the problem I noticed my feed was lasting nearly twice as long.

Time to start trapping the little buggers. I used rat snap traps under a weighted down milk crate. The milk crate allowed access for the squirrels but prevented chickens, dogs and little daughters from getting to them. My husband also honed up on his target shooting and took several out with a .22.

Good luck.

5. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    This threads making me hungry for squirrel dumbligs. I can fixs this problem.

6. eggboy

eggboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    CA
    Do you have a B.B./pellet gun or .22? If you do just keep it handy and every time you see a squirrel shoot it. They taste like chicken by the way.

7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I have a bb gun. It hasn't killed a squirrel yet. Gave em a sting, but they are so fat and fluffy I can't kill em

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:[​IMG]

9. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

If you see 7 there is more like 10+.

I would thin the herd a little. They make a good stew and I have a great lemon BBQ recipe.

I'm not sure what your surrounding are like or how close are your neighbors. No neighbor I would use a .22 or 17hmr. If you have close neighbors then I would go to one of the new pellet guns that will take them out at 50+ yards. Or just use a live trap.

Good luck hunting.

10. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    A couple of Christmas' ago my DD gave me a bird feeder that uses a 9v battery to zap squirrels. It is very effective unless it is raining. snowing or the battery runs down but once they get zapped a couple of times they stay off of it. But I felt sorry for the little critters so set up a separate squirrel feeder which I put corn in. Works out good and keep them away from the chicken coop which is 50 yds away and not on their route from the woods. Most of the year we only have one or two but lately there have been half dozen or so. Generally when there get to be this many the hawks come in and thin them a little. As a kid I used to hunt them and my mother made a great stew but DW doesn't care to have "rats" (her word) in her kitchen so haven't harvested them in a while. Corn-fed squirrel should be good though. BTW, if the feeder gets low I have one that comes to the deck door, sits up and begs until I fill it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by