Squishy (not impacted, not doughy, not sour) crop in the morning

My Three Chicks

Crowing
May 3, 2021
Seattle, WA
Hi. My 1.5 year old Red Sexlink woke up yesterday with what I thought was a mild case of impacted crop, so I brought her into the house to isolate her (no food, only water which I mixed with olive oil). As the day progressed, I massaged it several times. I noticed that the crop wasn't really impacted, rather I could feel the granular contents inside and could easily move it around. It was not a lot (maybe a golf ball worth of contents). Kept her inside last night and checked again this morning. Now it feels squishy. Can't really feel the grains but it's more of a squishy, pliable. But not doughy (it doesn't keep its form). It's not sour crop since there is no odor at all.

She's drinking a lot of water. I'm not giving her any food yet. She's acting normal walking around the house and bright eyed.

Any suggestions on what to do next? Will it clear on its own? Can I give her some mash to eat? (I'm sure she's hungry)

It's hopefully just squishy from all the water and no food. I'd definitely let her eat and drink what she wants for the day and check her crop first thing tomorrow morning before she's had a chance to eat or drink and see how it feels. I wouldn't be overly concerned as long as she is acting normal.

It's hopefully just squishy from all the water and no food. I'd definitely let her eat and drink what she wants for the day and check her crop first thing tomorrow morning before she's had a chance to eat or drink and see how it feels. I wouldn't be overly concerned as long as she is acting normal.
Thank you for the reply. That makes me feel better. I was also thinking the same thing...that maybe it's a lot of water in the crop. Then I was trying to do some research to see if water is just supposed to pass through the crop, or whether it stays there like it may be doing with my girl. But could not find any info. I'll go give her some mash but keep her inside for now. Since outside her 3 sisters eat a layer feed that has lots of grains that may be harder to digest.

Recheck first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink.

Ime, if it's not empty and still squishy, begin treating for Sour Crop even if you don't detect an odor. By the time you smell yeast, it's much harder to treat. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Chickens can process grains just fine if they have access to grit (crushed granite). It's always a good idea to provide grit free choice. It can be scattered in their coop/run or just attach a small container to a post in the run and put grit in it, they will take a piece or two as needed.

Back
Top Bottom