SS swollen legs and feet getting worse-not emergency

Lyranonamous

Songster
9 Years
Nov 23, 2013
Freeville NY (near Ithaca)
Hi all, This isn't an emergency, but I'm posting in the hope that someone has experienced this and knows what it is. This started last Dec. One day Canela's ankles were swollen- next day another hen had similar swelling, Both went to a local vet who suspected osteopetrosis, and suggested putting both girls down. For some reason I didn't believe it, and later Xrays revealed no bone problems. We were all shocked that the bones were not involved. They got antibiotics and pain meds. for a few weeks. The other hen, Bridget, passed this summer at Cornell from egg yolk peritonitis and I requested a PM- but there was no mention of what was found in the legs. So that was a lost opportunity.

By summer Canela's swelling seemed to be improving and I thought it might be weather dependent in some way. I also thought she might be healed by fall.

Canela went to Cornell this past Dec when her legs seemed to be getting worse with the onset cold weather and the vet said he has never seen this.(I was hoping a CU vet would have seen this) I was given DMSO, some parasite meds and told to also do Epson's salt soaks. The truth is that I didn't do any of this as I felt it was dealing only with the symptoms, not the cause, and she is not in pain-completely normal except how she looks. It seemed more risky to have her outside with any dampness on her legs.
Well the past few weeks she's become much more swollen, to the point that I think her legs are going to burst. The pink parts are fairly new as is the swelling between the toes. It has not been a cold winter here at all-about 40 degrees above normal most days.
I'm attaching photos from today (I did try the Epson's salt bath today because it was warm) She looks terrible but again she roosts, jumps around like normal, eats like normal, talks up a storm and even the Cornell report said all seems normal except the legs (heart, lungs, etc)
Any ideas? She doesn't have bumblefoot, and again is not acting sick at all.

Attachments

• IMG_1253.JPG
    IMG_1253.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1256-1.JPG
    IMG_1256-1.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1251.JPG
    IMG_1251.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1256.JPG
    IMG_1256.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 11
To me that looks like bacterial or viral arthritis. It may be complicated by bumblefoot now, but in your earlier thread, it looked like MS (mycoplasma synovitis.) I never thought the earlier pictures you posted looked like osteopetrosis (marble leg disease) and these don’t either. These are early pictures from your earlier thread, and here is that thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...legs-after-death-of-another-in-flock.1288202/
1582587575573.jpeg

Did any of the vets aspirate anything from any of the swellings?
When you touch them, do they feel liquidy, like maybe it's liquid or a mayo type substance in them...or are they harder like maybe hard cookie dough or even firmer? Or are they just plain hard? If you gently press your finger into one (very gently) is there an indent left after you take your finger away? If so, how long does that area stay indented?

Sorry for the food references but it's a good way to paint a picture for people who can't touch her for a better idea of the swelling's make up.

To me that looks like bacterial or viral arthritis. It may be complicated by bumblefoot now, but in your earlier thread, it looked like MS (mycoplasma synovitis.) I never thought the earlier pictures you posted looked like osteopetrosis (marble leg disease) and these don’t either. These are early pictures from your earlier thread, and here is that thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...legs-after-death-of-another-in-flock.1288202/
View attachment 2035058
Thanks for reposting my earlier photos-I had planned to do that for comparison.It is clearly getting worse. I will bring up the arthritis with vet and check her today for bumblefoot.

Back
Top Bottom