1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

St. Brigid, patron saint of poultry farmers

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by bawkbawkbawk, Jul 19, 2009.

1. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

I did a Google search to see if there was a patron saint for chickens, and discovered that St. Brigid of Ireland is the woman for the job.

I found this online - it's not my stuff but I'm buying one to hang outside my coop. They do tiles and wooden plaques. Just thought I'd pass it along in case anyone else has some latent Catholic in them like I do...

http://patriarts.com/Brigid of Ireland.htm

1 person likes this.
  2. prairiegirl

prairiegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2008
    Thanks so much for sharing the info and the link.
    I did not know that poultry farmers had a patron saint. I don't know why I've never looked that up. Very fitting for our little place.

prairiegirl

3. emmalynn

emmalynn Silkies Sebbies OEGBs

Oct 16, 2008
    Middle TN
    She is also the patron saint for fugitives. Kinda ironic as a lot of the BYC crowd are keeping chickens below the radar in the city!!!

4. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

Haha - that's great! Little did she know she would become the go-to for chicken outlaws!

I ordered the tile - am going to hang it at the door to my coop [​IMG] I haven't been Catholic for a long time, but with all the predator posts on BYC I figure my chickens need all the help they can get!

5. TillinWithMyPeeps

TillinWithMyPeeps Waiting for Spring...

Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
    Here's a list of her patronage:

Patronage

babies
    blacksmiths
    boatmen
    cattle
    chicken farmers
    children whose parents are not married
    dairymaids
    dairy workers
    Douglas, Lanarkshire, Scotland
    fugitives
    infants
    Ireland
    Ivrea, Turin, Italy
    Leinster, Ireland
    mariners
    midwives
    milk maids
    newborn babies
    nuns
    poets
    poultry farmers
    poultry raisers
    printing presses
    sailors
    scholars
    travellers
    watermen

6. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Quote:Thanks for letting us know, thats beautiful! One of my favorite saints of course is, St. Francis!!

7. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Quote:How true that statement is, wish is weren't, but..........................

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by