Staggered 'Brooder' system in my coop

Solace

Songster
11 Years
Apr 16, 2008
Rutherford County, NC
After sectioning my coop off I realized I needed to utilize as much vertical space as possible. This is a work in progress, but I think it's working great so far.

I have an area sectioned off 36"x10' with a double stack 'brooder'. I do have a nice 3x5' box for very young chicks as well, but haven't used it since I built this.

I'm putting the younger chicks on top then rotating them down stages till they make it to the floor as they grow out. Can't see it in the pics, but I have heat lamps suspended above the top rack.

All the chicks in the rack are serama. The ones on the floor are cochin/leghorn/delaware combinations.
DSC00197.jpg
DSC00198.jpg
Chicklets on top. This group wound up being exactly even. 5 cockrels 5 pullets
DSC00205.jpg
DSC00211.jpg
Middle section currently holding 2 cockrels and 1 pullet.
DSC00204.jpg

Comments/suggestions/critiques are most welcome.

Thank you for sharing these beautiful and useful pictures with us,I am planning on building a broody sections too in my coop next year ,and you gave me a great Idea.
Thanks again.
Omran

Thanks and yes the racks are on wire so it is possible the ones below get bombed, but so far I haven't seen it happen much. I've thought about putting a shield system in and may still do it. Just haven't made up my mind about that yet.

I was thinking of doing something along this line too because I have at least two more incubations planned before the end of the year and will need to squeeze the babies into the new coop I'm building (I have a couple simple A-frame planned to be built by march for individual breeds, but don't want to move them there until it gets past the worst of the winter cold). I'll have to figure out a way to do this in there, it would save space and allow me to winter them over in the insulated coop--which will have electricity.

That looks great! We are looking for ideas for completing our house's interior and this is a must have!!! Ohhh my husband has another weekend job added to his list of many!!! Thanks for this idea.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom