Staggered hatch possibly???Under Broody?

lswatson111304

Songster
10 Years
Sep 18, 2009
Milano, TX
Ok so I found my broody in the woods with her eggs. I moved them to a broody box for safety. I candled 3days ago and they all looked similar in size. She has a total of 13 its her first time being broody. Thought i was at day 13ish. Last night i replenished her water and she got up for a drink so I took another peek. 9 have internal pips 4 still look to have a lot of fluid still but all kicking dont look close to pip. A few of the internal pips you could still see fluid. I am woried Ill have sticky chicks if they try to hatch. Anyone have this happen? Do you think the fluid in the internal pips is just eggyolk to still absorb? What about the slow ones? Will they have a chance if the others hatch? I feel helpless in this LOL hopefully mama has it all under controll!
Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

I'd think that fluid is egg yolk not yet absorbed. A lot don't absorb that egg yolk until after external pip. They are all different.

If you truly have "slow" ones, what options do you have? You can watch her and put any unhatched eggs in an incubator when she leaves the nest. I would never try it, but some people remove the chicks as they hatch to try to keep her on the nest for later eggs. They post that it sometimes works. If there is not much difference in hatch time you might be able to put the first-hatched chicks back under her.

If she started those eggs in the woods and other hens were not laying with her, all the eggs will probably hatch that are going to. As I'm sure you know, hatching is a process, not something that happens instantaneously. Different eggs can go through that process on a different schedule. I've had some broodies leave the nest less than 24 hours after the first one hatched and they did not leave any unhatched eggs behind. I've had broodies spend two full days on the nest. I've also had a broody leave a nest with some unhatched eggs, but I think that was because I messed with her, looking under her. I now tend to leave my broodies alone during hatch and let them decide when to come off the nest.

But, yeah, if other hens were laying with her, you could have a problem.

Back
Top Bottom