Staggered hatch....?

clairabean

Songster
9 Years
Nov 7, 2010
Kootenays of BC!
I think I have added some stress to my life.
tongue.png

I have three eggs in the bator due for lockdown tomorrow. But I had added nine eggs three days ago. Have I really messed up? How do I turn when in lockdown? (Homemade bator- no external turner system.)

it is possibe to hand turn during lockdown. you can do it very fast. with out losing much heat or humdity. i have done a staggered hatch with duck and chicken eggs together like this in one bator. and it was my LG. LGS are are i have. i am up to 3 LGs now.

If you have pipped eggs.... I would not open the bator to hand turn the newer eggs.. I would just not turn the eggs until the first chicks are taken out.. I have done this hundreds of times..

Quote:
Only if you have more than one incubator.

A staggered hatch is when you have eggs with different set dates in the same incubator.

You can turn the eggs during 'lockdown' as long as the other eggs aren't pipped. It won't affect them. Once they pip you probably shouldn't open the incubator. I do, but that's me
smile.png

Quote:
Only if you have more than one incubator.

A staggered hatch is when you have eggs with different set dates in the same incubator.

You can turn the eggs during 'lockdown' as long as the other eggs aren't pipped. It won't affect them. Once they pip you probably shouldn't open the incubator. I do, but that's me
smile.png

I would also, but that is just me also.. I would not recommend a newbie to try it.. there are a lot of scenerios when one might have to.. but to save one egg at the expense of all the others, is just not worth it.. after you hatch a few batches then you can get adventurous.. [;-)

I would also, but that is just me also.. I would not recommend a newbie to try it.. there are a lot of scenerios when one might have to.. but to save one egg at the expense of all the others, is just not worth it.. after you hatch a few batches then you can get adventurous.. [;-)

I do it too, but that is just me also
big_smile.png
It makes me very nervous to see the chicks that have hatched turning and playing ball with the eggs that have just pipped. So I open the incubator to take out the ones that hatched. I do it fast and usually I mist inside the incubator when I open it. So far I have had no problems.

Back
Top Bottom