Staining wood question

FL-chick

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 3, 2013
Florida
I just bought the Garden Coop plans and this will be my first ever construction project. I'm using untreated lumber for the frame and cedar for the henhouse. So far I have primed all the 2x4s with an oxalic acid wash and sanded a few of the boards. I have the first coat of stain on a few of the boards and I already hate it. It's very orange. The kind I used is Behr Transparent Weather Proofing All in One Wood Finish. The color is cedar.

Can anyone recommend a good weather proofing stain? I also want it to be shiny...would I use a separate finish coat for that? Shellac or ??? What about linseed oil? Do I need that?

I kinda like the color but I think it will fade over time and not be so orange, for the shinyness you could use a high gloss polyurethane.

Can't really tell if you are staining the interior framing? or exterior? If it's exterior anything shiny (polyuerethane, shellac etc) will not stay that way long. Will dull and or begin to peel before long. A good semi transparent outdoor stain will last the longest. I used to use Cabots but not sure if it's still as good since they have gotten into the big box stores. They only shiny coating that holds up for any length of time outdoors is marine spar varnish. But you must do lots of prep work, multiple coats and prep work between each coat. Way too much work for a chicken coop.

Get a small can of primer as well and prime it first. Then at least 2 coats of paint and it will last several years. If your coup is small it and you still have it, it will be no big deal to paint again. Good choice

The brand doesn't matter. Just a good latex exterior primer. Kilz is a good primer, but make sure you get the latex and not the oil based primer. Some will argue that oil based primers are better, but the cleanup mess and chemicals turn many people off. Latex primers are just fine IMO.

Back
Top Bottom