STAKE OUT??????? I need help on how to do it, I NEED TO KILL THESE FOX

You are all great! Thank you!!! I actually have 4 of the "night predator" lights. Walt Leonard recommended them and they seemed to work at first.

But these are hungry fox (or coyote) and I have a buffet here (or did) now most everyone is cooped to my sadness.

Chicky Tocks I have the same problem. I am the fast food joint around here.

Actually fox and coyote can see the red lights (according to the trapper and the night predator instruction booklet) I guess mine just don't care.

I do have a spy cam and I know where they were coming from but they change up on their times they show up. I have seen them at 5:30 in the evening--7:30 pm then I saw them on the spy cam at various times during the night from 12-4 am.

Steve, I love that rifle (?) That says business. I actually have a high beam flashlight that I can change lens to a tight beam. I didn't think about that and strapping it to the rifle. Great idea.

I don't really have to worry about close neighbors as long as I point in the right direction which is most everywhere LOL Here is a picture of my back yard where all these predators hang out (there was a fire going on at the time of the picture)

33539_dscn7617.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The following method might be useful if you have good fields of fire from inside the house (windows/doors) and can setup a temp. `cull run' (narrow rectangle) within a range at which you can be fairly sure to be accurate, even if half-asleep.

The narrow faces of the rectangle should be covered with tarps (when you look out the window/door you should see the covered chicken wire (facing the house) and have a clear view along BOTH long sides of uncovered fencing). The pred. will likely be pacing the uncovered sides of the run, and you will be able to make an easy shot. Place a baby monitor in the run (our $20.00 Safety First brand monitors are 5yrs old and still working) and a cheap reflector/clamped spot at a position closer to the house and aimed so that the long sides of run are illuminated (just put monitor and spot on extension cord).

Place the monitor receiver near the head of bed and crank volume to max. Have the rifle by the window/door you'll be firing from. The chooks, having a bit of light to work with will start growling, then whining, then going off the scale entirely, as the fox/coyote figures out how to deal with fencing. This should allow you sufficient time to come to, stretch, pick up the rifle, flip off the safety, make the shot, and return to bed.

Since you have a good idea about the likely pred. routes to and from the area, you might find these threads/info to be of use:

http://backyardchickens.yuku.com/topic/3887/t/prepping-and-using-steel-traps-a-tutorial.html
http://backyardchickens.yuku.com/topic/3962/t/The-HAY-SET-step-by-step-for-easy-fox-trapping.html
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=374299&p=1

If it is a Red fox, and you miss, don't go back to sleep. I've yet to deal with a fox that doesn't go `chook/blood simple' (just has to come back within the hour to make another attempt).

Good luck!
(electricity and lockdown makes for unimpeded snoozing)

Quote:
That is Brilliant!!! I do have a clear shot from the dining room windows and we shoot whistle pigs all the time in the spring from there.

(No I am not crazy but even the pest control said they had never seen such a huge population of whistle pigs (ground squirrels)

I also have a few rectangular pens that are 8 x 4 and similar already set up with just chicken wire!!!!

I have a bunch of the solar lights to light walkways up. Do you think that would be good enough for the lighting near the temporary run?

I just need to run out and get the monitor! Oh yeah!

I think it will work--and I am sure going to try it. Really, this is so brilliant! Thank you!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here we use a red light, a rabbit call, Shotgun. Call the fox, when it come to the call, you will see its eyes in the red beam, shoot the red eyes(head shot). Any stray dogs will come to the call also. make sure your dog is up.

No high dollar night scope, use a strong light, cover it with a red film. the red light will not scare the predator.

rustywoman wrote; Here is a picture of my back yard where all these predators hang out (there was a fire going on at the time of the picture)

What a vista! If I was afforded that sort of range I'd have to run down an old Sharps 45-70 and mount it on a tripod.

I hope some variation of `narrow run' is useful. At this location I work the inversion of the method, i.e., cut firing lanes out into the woods, removing brush and understory. Also leave `noses' of brush growing out into the clearing around the house. If the chooks are observed all collected under the big Lilac, growling and still, it is almost a sure bet that the fox will be hunkered down into one of those bits of Amur Honeysuckle and Multifloral Rose. They think they've got good cover but, basically, they are the bullseye.

Lucky to see the sunset, here
roll.png

backyard0709.jpg

Good luck!​

Quote:
Oh my goodness, you're using one of those evil assault rifles to hunt with.

Just yanking your chain. Or maybe someone else’s.
wink.png
Nice AR.
big_smile.png

That's not hunting it's just cleaning house. You should see my hunting rifle, we have his and her Kimber 84M's one in .243 one in 7mm-08. they are sweet rifles

Steve

Quote:
Deerman, thank you. That is also a great idea. I have never used a rabbit call but it would sure be fun to try it out and see what happens.

At this point I have no sympathy for the fox or coyotes. Others may but I do not.

Ivan3 you have wonderful ideas and thank for the picture, it helps me understand better!

The rest of you gentlemen, you are making me laugh but believe me, I am paying attention.

Quote:
Deerman, thank you. That is also a great idea. I have never used a rabbit call but it would sure be fun to try it out and see what happens.

At this point I have no sympathy for the fox or coyotes. Others may but I do not.

Ivan3 you have wonderful ideas and thank for the picture, it helps me understand better!

The rest of you gentlemen, you are making me laugh but believe me, I am paying attention.

when you blow on the rabbit call start out blowing fairly hard really loud then kina back it down then get really soft kina like a rabbit dying / being eaten pay careful attention some times they will run over you other times they kina sneak in depending on the wind.

Quote:

when you blow on the rabbit call start out blowing fairly hard really loud then kina back it down then get really soft kina like a rabbit dying / being eaten pay careful attention some times they will run over you other times they kina sneak in depending on the wind.

Whoa, really or are you joking? Where should I be when I blow the whistle? Do I need to hide or won't they see well at night either.

Back
Top Bottom