Stall Mat Flooring

What do you think of the stall mat idea?
I don't like it, if they get wet underneath it's the perfect place for molds and such to grow.
They are very heavy to move and clean.
But it might be the only thing that will keep them from digging into the dirt floor.

Curious, why didn't you put a floor in there?
Does floor stay dry?
How long has building been up, roof looks well grown in?

Again, I agree with aart. Usually horse stall matts go directly on top of concrete or wood. If you did end up with a problem of mold, it would be a PITA to deal with. You may have to build a floor of some sort.

Other people here have way more experience with this than me, but if you build a floor it needs to have ventilation underneath. Putting down joists and then plywood over the top might be the way to go. There needs to be some way to vent under there too (like a basement).

We are just way too wet here (when it is wet), to have something directly on the ground with no venting (again, this is me just spouting stuff! Perhaps there are ways).

I don't like it, if they get wet underneath it's the perfect place for molds and such to grow.
They are very heavy to move and clean.
But it might be the only thing that will keep them from digging into the dirt floor.

Curious, why didn't you put a floor in there?
Does floor stay dry?
How long has building been up, roof looks well grown in?

When we started the building back in 2014 I really wanted a natural floor and use the deep litter method, after all it is just a barn...... We jumped into the project without any real plan so the site was never graded or leveled. Over the years the building continued to take shape but the flooring has always been an issue since it is built on sloping ground. You can really see the slope in the bottom of the front doors.
We did have some damp soil so we dug a curtain drain around the building & it has been very dry these last few years. Honestly it is so dry that I think I may have problems having the deep litter method without adding water to the mix.

Again, I agree with aart. Usually horse stall matts go directly on top of concrete or wood. If you did end up with a problem of mold, it would be a PITA to deal with. You may have to build a floor of some sort.

I was under the impression that stall mats were frequently used atop soil, not just hard surfaces. Maybe it varies on brand?

Thanks to both of you for helping me brainstorm this issue!!

Attachments

• 2019-11-24 (6).JPG
    2019-11-24 (6).JPG
    646 KB · Views: 2
You can really see the slope in the bottom of the front doors.
I did notice.

We did have some damp soil so we dug a curtain drain around the building & it has been very dry these last few years.
Well, that's good!

Honestly it is so dry that I think I may have problems having the deep litter method without adding water to the mix.
Must have missed the DL aspect if you mentioned it before but....
If you plan on doing a true composting Deep Litter, nix the mats and do the DL.
You might need to add some some moisture, but that would sure keep the dirt floor dust down. @igorsMistress does this, she might be able to give you some tips.

Thanks for the link OlympicChick, that was super helpful!!

Aart, I had planned on DL years ago when we started the project but I am now planning on using poop boards. I think this will suit the building better & my composting setup.
Well, then you're back to the dust issues. Poop boards can add to the dust factor.
The only real way to keep the chicken dust out of the other area of the building is to build a solid wall between coop and shop.

Back
Top Bottom