Standard Cochin & Silkie Color Crossing Combo Help Needed

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Riverwind Rabbitry, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Riverwind Rabbitry

Riverwind Rabbitry New Egg

Mar 27, 2009
    South Central Missouri
    Hello all,

Was just wondering if anyone could tell me what color crosses give you as chicks in Standard Cochins or Silkies?
    For example:
    Blue x Blue = 25% black chicks, 25% splash chicks, and 50% blue chicks
    Blue x Black = 50% black and 50% blue chicks
    Blue x Splash = 50% splash and 50% blue chicks
    Black x Splash = 100% blue chicks

What I am trying to figure out is what do you breed to what to get reds, buff, and partridge? I am lucky enough to have both breeds Standard Cochin and Silkies in Black, Blue, Blue Splash, Buff, White & Partridge. I have been breeding color to color this year, but I am new and was wondering if anyone could offer assistance in this field.

Thanks & Regards,
    Eric

2. DiVon80

DiVon80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Pearl River,Louisiana
    I am interested to here this also. Need to learn a lot about color.... Going to work with blk. frizzel cochins, blu cochins and blu silkies. Have those colors down. What would happen if I added a lil white to the cochin mix?

3. when you cross a white Silkie with a colored Silkie the offspring often contain variations of the partridge color and, of course, the color of the not white parent.

White Silkie x Colored Silkie almost never gives white Silkies

You can put blues , blacks and splashes all in one pen together but its best to keep the other colors with their same colors .

Hope that helps some.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by