Standard Rhode Island Reds pullets or cockerels?

blueheeler1998

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 24, 2011
Hello. We hatched out our own Rhode Island Reds. I believe all three to be pullets, but my daughter is so hoping for one to be a cockerel. The rooster was killed by a horse. So we are needing one. We had eggs in the incubator at the time he was killed, so we were hopeful for one to be a cockerel. Only three eggs hatched. Two are 9 weeks old. The other is 13 weeks old. I looked back at photos of the rooster at 9 weeks, he didn't have much tail to speak of, but he had quite a bit of comb and waddle at that age. Since all of our babies look the same, I don't have any comparison. If anyone could look at them and give me some input, I would appreciate it. Thanks for any and all help.

83680_p_00687.jpg

83680_p_00689.jpg

83680_p_00688.jpg

83680_p_00685.jpg

Last edited:
That is what I thought. Before the Rooster got killed, we were hoping for all girls so we could keep them all. After he was killed, we were hoping for one male. They are my daughter's 4H birds, so we will just contact the breeder her first pair came from and buy a new cockerel. FYI, we sold the horse. She was a problem child, but harming the chickens was the last straw. We have had chickens for a little over a year and love it. Our ladies all hang around us and love to be hand fed. They are very cool. My father-in-law thinks ours are so cool, that we are hatching out chicks for him. One of our RIR hens decided to go broody, so we had to get fertilized eggs (mixed breed) from a friend for her to lay on. We should have chicks for him in about 6-7 days. Thanks for the input.

Back
Top Bottom