4 Wk Rhode Island Reds all cockerels?

GoldenGirlsRed

In the Brooder
Aug 24, 2023
I have some 4 week old Rhode Island Red chicks that I got from Tractor Supply. They’re from a Straight Run and the guy did he best to get 4 that “looked most” like pullets. We knew there was a chance for males, but I was hoping I’d be lucky enough to not get all 4 males. I’d appreciate any guesses.

IMG_8288.jpeg
IMG_8292.jpeg
IMG_8297.jpeg
IMG_8298.jpeg
IMG_8293.jpeg

I’ll give it a few more weeks to make sure, but it looks like we’ll be needing to try to rehome 3 of the 4. One seems quite attached to me so I’ll keep him around. My other chicks are all Black Australorp pullets. Not sure what that cross would look like.

I’ll give it a few more weeks to make sure, but it looks like we’ll be needing to try to rehome 3 of the 4. One seems quite attached to me so I’ll keep him around. My other chicks are all Black Australorp pullets. Not sure what that cross would look like.
Straight run translation is any males left over after the pullets are identified and sold. It's not TSC fault, it's the breeder they get them from.

Straight run translation is any males left over after the pullets are identified and sold. It's not TSC fault, it's the breeder they get them from.
Totally agree on this. For any of the big box ranch stores, it seems like 'straight run = vast majority of cockerels' rather than you have a 50/50 chance of a pullet or cockerel.

That said, 'mom and pop' hatcheries or direct-from-the farm straight run still appear to be 50/50 luck of the draw.

Back
Top Bottom