Standard Size Birchen Cochin?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jkaaz101406, Nov 2, 2011.

1. jkaaz101406

jkaaz101406 New Egg

Nov 2, 2011
    I got a happy mix of breeds from the local feed mill last spring and we know what all of the breeds are except this guy, Gregory Peck. He's the biggest guy we have too. Any ideas what sort of bird he may be? He's not a banty, but he does have really nice feathering on his legs and a pretty green/blue sheen on his black feathers. The comb though...that's a mystery. Thanks for looking!

[​IMG]

2. De

De Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Camden,AR
    Looks like a Dark Braham and the hen in back of him looks like a dark Braham too...

3. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

I own dark brahmas and I can tell you the Rooster up front and the silver/black/white penciled hen hen behind him are dark brahmas. [​IMG] you will love them. Cochins have the big single combs, brahmas have the short to the head peacombs. The dark's pattern is technically a silver partridge - the "Partridge" brahmas are just the gold/red variation of the darks (silver)

My Dark Brahma boy Hawk

[​IMG]

One of my girls
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  4. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Quote:Your pencilled girl is sooooooooooooooooo pretty [​IMG]

I'm really tempted to pick up one for myself!

5. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    looks like a dark brahma

6. jkaaz101406

jkaaz101406 New Egg

Nov 2, 2011
    Thanks so much! Since this is our first season raising chickens, we are still getting familiar with ALL the breeds. There's so many...

And we do love him...he's a good protector of our free range hens and relatively tame, though he gets a little aggravated sometimes.

Thanks to all who responded!

7. 4acresNachick

4acresNachick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    This is Peaches, my Dark Brahma. She is a bantam but what she lacks in size she makes up for in personality. We love her. I'm glad to hear others like the behaviors of their Dark Brahmas.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by