Standard vs bantam: newbie questions

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by midwife mama, Mar 18, 2009.

1. midwife mama

midwife mama Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2009
    montana
    What are general reasons, other than space, to keep Bantams over Standard sized chickens?

Are there advantages to keeping standards?

Can you keep both together?

I am staring out with a small flock of around 12 chickens (after I sort out the roos). I am attracted to Aracaunas, Silkies, And Cochins. Would the standard Cochins be too large to keep with Bantam silikes, for example?

Thank you!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  2. B.CochinCrazy

B.CochinCrazy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2009
    Bantams do have a better egg to feed ratio, they are great in small spaces!

My large Fowl are sweet also [​IMG] they come running when you open the door, some will sit in your lap but, my bantams sit longer cuddle up & go to sleep in my lap.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    With bantams you have space for more birds! And little eggs are cute!

My silkies tend (generally speaking) to be head of the pecking order. I don't have standard cochins, but I do have standard orpingtons and barred rocks (feed store size).

4. wyliefarms

wyliefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Fowlerville,MI
    What we have found is you can keep bantams and large fowl together as long as you have enough room. If you have a LF rooster than you cannot keep bantam's in that coop, as the roo will possibley kill the bantam trying to mate it.

bantam eggs are smaller so I use two eggs for one Large egg.

With selling eggs, customers don't want the bantams generally.

Good Luck

5. tamlynn

tamlynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Torrance, CA
    For me, I convinced my city that a bantam chicken was not a farm animal so I am able to keep chickens. You probably won't need that arguement in NM. [​IMG]

6. EngieKisses

EngieKisses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2008
    Collinsville, Oklahoma
    I have customers who prefer the smaller eggs, we have large eggs too. They have small children and they say they are just the right size.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by