Standard white egg chicken?

River Lizard

Songster
10 Years
May 29, 2009
Varina, VA
Could someone tell me what breed chicken lays the standard white eggs? I've tried brown eggs and I don't care for the taste ( I know, a lot of people pick those over white) I like sunny-side up and scrambled so I'm looking for the best white egg possible for this from a chicken, which should I be looking for?
Also, how many hens should I get to supply me with at least 12 eggs a week?

Thanks,

I'd say either Pearl White Leghorn or Ca. White leghorn. If you want 12 a week, you'll probably want at least 4-7 hens.

Yup, the eggs should taste the same. The egg shell color is genetically determined like your hair color is.

BUT, if you are squicked by it and just have to have a white egg, that's fine
smile.png
what about the sicilian buttercup? the polish ones also lay white eggs. However, the leghorns mentioned probably lay more.

If you go to sites like McMurray's, they'll list out who gives white and who gives brown eggs.

Quote:
Exactly. The difference in taste that you noticed is because of how they were raised and fed and handled, and the length of time stored, not the shell color. Most people here prefer the taste of homegrown. Like you, I have a little trouble with it, which I am sure is just habit from too many years of eating old eggs with pale yolks.

You might try a dozen brown eggs from the regular grocery store; I think you will find they taste the same as store bought white eggs.

Hi,

Yes, Leghorns are known to be very good white egg layers.

As far as the taste goes, it should be the same from any color egg. We eat many green eggs from my EE's and they are fine, also.

I'm sure the taste issue is because you may not be used to eating anything but store-bought eggs. The only other thing that I can think of is that your hens may have eaten something like garlic, onions, or something else with a strong flavor that might be picked up in the eggs.

Good luck!
smile.png
Genie

Quote:
I thought Leghorns will generally lay about an egg a day? 4-7 hens would give you a lot more than 12 a week. Even if they each only lay 5 eggs a week, three hens would suffice.

i have 5 hens, 2 of which are white leghorns. The 2 leghorns themselves lay about 12 a week. They keep my kitchen stocked with eggs but they taste also the same as the other eggs. good luck.

Back
Top Bottom