Standard White-faced Cochin chickens

Love the name! With your premission I think that's what I will call them, so as not to cause any future confusion!

Go right ahead. After I said it out loud, I realized that's how the TN natives say "expansion" . We're in the construction/carpentry industry, so I hear it quite a bit
tongue.png

Quote:
Well you have to mix a red (or red-brown) cochin and partridge or the likes (I forget which two colors you have to mix) to get a lemon-blue. All you are doing to get lemon-blue of ANY coloring is mixing already existing colors. Part of the problem with the coloring, as of yet, it will not breed true.

Don

As of yet, any lemon-blue cochin (regardless of how you got the coloring) will not breed true. Bummer.

Well quite. The "lemon blue" cochins as shown in a lot of the photos on here will probably never breed true for colour.....but they are attractive & people like them. They do no have the ER gene but are pseudo birchen. They could probably be used to make a proper blue buff columbian & be stabilised.

True lemon blue is pretty easy. Gold birchen (aka brown red) crossed onto blue & offspring crossed back to gold birchen.

I'm sorry I offended you about the use of "cochin".​

Quote:
Well you have to mix a red (or red-brown) cochin and partridge or the likes (I forget which two colors you have to mix) to get a lemon-blue. All you are doing to get lemon-blue of ANY coloring is mixing already existing colors. Part of the problem with the coloring, as of yet, it will not breed true.

Don

Even so, buff x blue doesn't make lemon blue, as I previously stated.

Quote:

Don

Even so, buff x blue doesn't make lemon blue, as I previously stated.

That's fine, I was thinking of changing the name of our "lemon-blues" to frosted buff. They look pretty lemonly-blue to me!

Don

Quote:
Thank you! Another member on here (can't remember the exact user name) has some of our LB chicks and they are beautiful. Last I read, they were trying for red-laced blue cochins.

Don

That's me. I'm on my 2nd generation "lemon blues" from don and now, my own crossing with reds, trying to get closer to a true lemon blue.
wink.png
I'm also working on blue laced red cochins, standard buff columbians and bantam mille fleurs.
wink.png

Here is my pride & joy...
DSCN3151-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Well quite. The "lemon blue" cochins as shown in a lot of the photos on here will probably never breed true for colour.....but they are attractive & people like them. They do no have the ER gene but are pseudo birchen. They could probably be used to make a proper blue buff columbian & be stabilised.

True lemon blue is pretty easy. Gold birchen (aka brown red) crossed onto blue & offspring crossed back to gold birchen.

Thank you!

I'm on my 2nd generation "lemon blues" from don and now, my own crossing with reds, trying to get closer to a true lemon blue.

Hobby names are confusing.
hmm.png
When you say "true lemon blue" do you mean a brighter more "lemon" colour or do you mean to try to get to a "lemon blue" as the colour is usually used, as in gold blue birchen?​

Oooops I should have said blue offspring back to gold birchen.
wink.png

Quote:
Honestly I am not sure the exact part of his face that is white. I'll have to check on that. As far as the lavender cochins, I would love to see that coloring come to reality. You need a lavender gene to breed the lemon-blues true. Or at least I think that is where the stable coloring needs to come from. As of yet, any lemon-blue cochin (regardless of how you got the coloring) will not breed true. Bummer.

Don

It appears as though is earlobe is the only white part seen on his face. The white is leaking into his face, so if you truly wish to make a white-faced bird that looks like a white-faced black spanish, you will need to breed for the most leakage into the face as possible. But bear in mind you will need to keep breeding for fluff as well.

Back
Top Bottom