Standing Still, Puffed Up, Closing Eyes

@andree

No, the vent pulsing is not normal. It usually indicates that they are trying to pass something. If it is in rhythm with her breathing, it can indicate respiratory issues as their are a couple of large air sacs in the body either side of the vent which act like bellows and that can cause their back end to appear to pulse.

@Orit

That poop does not look good. Looks like quite a lot of bile in it which can indicate her digestive tract is shutting down. That might also tie in with her crop being hard when she hasn't eaten much. I'm having real problems with my computer right now to answer in full as it keeps jamming, but if you can afford veterinary care it might be a good idea.

Thank you so much for all your insights and information! I can not afford to go to a vet, but in the meantime my girl seems to be more like herself. There doesn't appear to be any more of that runny green poop in the run, and she is eating. She even pecked at one of my other girls who is molting right now. When I tried to pick her up, she squawked and fussed (unlike yesterday when she was completely lethargic). Her crop seems softer. I need to get back to work but things do seem to be looking up. Hopefully that will still be the case when I get home.

No, the vent pulsing is not normal. It usually indicates that they are trying to pass something. If it is in rhythm with her breathing, it can indicate respiratory issues as their are a couple of large air sacs in the body either side of the vent which act like bellows and that can cause their back end to appear to pulse.@andree

Thanks very much for this insight.

The hen seems slightly better today but is still breathing through her mouth so I decided to isolate her and give her some oil of oregano diluted in olive oil, hoping that it will help with any infection that she may have.

But I have no clue now if the problem is respiratory or related to egg production but I'm going to give her more oregano oil in the morning and hope things improve. I also added a couple of drops of oregano to the drinking water for the other hens, which hopefully they will drink cause it sure smells strong. Next time I get chicks, I must get them used to drinking water with herbs in it!

Hi,
Thanks for checking in and connecting! My hen seemed more like herself this morning so I left for work. I've just come back on a lunch break to check on her and she does seem more like her normal self. She fussed when I tried to pick her up (when yesterday she hardly moved when I picked her up). She's walking around the run, eating, not so puffed up. Maybe it was a blockage, as you say? I will have to get back to work but as of now, things do look more positive. Not sure what to make of it.

How is your hen doing?

Glad to hear she's perked up. Mine is looking better too, but is still breathing from her mouth. See my post above for added measures I took today, which may or may not work. I'll report if anything changes, but meawhile my husband is suggesting she end up in the oven.

We have these hens for eggs and I have no experience yet with butchering a hen, but my current question is: can we eat a hen if we suspect a viral infection?

UPDATE: My hen is completely back to normal! Other than the Epsom salt bath, some calcium, and TLC, I didn't do anything special. I'm wondering if she ate something bad while free ranging in the back yard and then needed a little help dispelling it? (not sure if that is something that happens to hens) There are a zillion leaves on the ground with winter closing in so there are many new and different things to digest. In any case, I am so grateful and want to thank those who gave advice and shared info.

Andree - how is your hen doing? My fingers are crossed that she, too, recovered from whatever it was!

That's great news about your hen Orit.

I'm checking in to give an update. Mine also now seems mostly back to normal. I have kept her isolated since my original post, with three nights in our home, and the rest in a cage in our partially-heated shed, isolated from the other hens. She was doing poorly at first with obvious trouble breathing, but she was eating and drinking even if very lightly. Then she stopped breathing through her mouth and I noticed it only when I picked her up, which I guess was putting pressure on her chest. Today she is out in the garden, still separate from the others, but pecking at everything and dust-bathing like mad! I'll put her back in with the others as soon as I address any lice or other issues she may have developed since she had 10 days without dust baths.

Something came to mind however that I forgot about until after she got sick. About 3 weeks ago, I couldn't find her among the other hens in late morning and found her stuck on a high branch in one of the bushes that are along the edge of the run. I have no clue how she got up there because there are so many tightly woven branches in those bushes that no hen has ever perched on any of these. Plus I had to get her down because she was stuck, so probably for a few hours and possibly even from the night before - who knows. But I can only imagine that she got up there because of a threat from a cat, which are the only predators that we have seen in our residential area. So maybe this fright and hours in the cold caused her to get sick?

Anyway, I believe that she is on the mend and hopefully she is not contagious to the others.

Thanks again for everyone's advice.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom