Stange imbalaced rooster

Kr1spy_dreamz

Songster
Aug 29, 2020
Las vegas, Nevada
Hello, my rooster hasn't been doing well with balance and I was wondering what the cause of it is.

He has short moments where he can walk normally but his balance is pretty poor. He isn't really lethargic and has a pretty strong will to live otherwise. Every time he tries standing he'll call over or just sit upright. Photos were taken before I separated him.

This has also been a thing since yesterday and it has gotten a bit worse.

1000021850.jpg
1000021851.jpg

Could you tell us his age and if you have other roosters? What do you feed him including treats? Was he vaccinated for Mareks or anything else? Does he have any green bruising or swelling on his legs? Hopefully, he has just suffered an injury. Mareks disease comes to mind, but you could start some human vitamin E 400 IU and a little egg daily. B complex 1/2 tablet may also help him. Make sure that he can get to his food and water. A watery mash of chicken feed and a little egg would be good for him.

Could you tell us his age and if you have other roosters? What do you feed him including treats? Was he vaccinated for Mareks or anything else? Does he have any green bruising or swelling on his legs? Hopefully, he has just suffered an injury. Mareks disease comes to mind, but you could start some human vitamin E 400 IU and a little egg daily. B complex 1/2 tablet may also help him. Make sure that he can get to his food and water. A watery mash of chicken feed and a little egg would be good for him.
He isn't with other roosters, he's almost around a year old and he's fed gamebird feed and occasionally food scraps. He doesn't seem to have any damage on his legs or feet. If this was mareks then this is possibly the first case I've had of that then. Thanks btw.

Have you added any new birds to your flock in recent months? If it were me, I would start some vitamin therapy to see if it made a difference in his ability to stand and walk. Most state vets can do testing and a necropsy after we lose one, to see what his problem might have been. Here is a list of state vets to contact for more information:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Hello, my rooster hasn't been doing well with balance and I was wondering what the cause of it is.

He has short moments where he can walk normally but his balance is pretty poor. He isn't really lethargic and has a pretty strong will to live otherwise. Every time he tries standing he'll call over or just sit upright. Photos were taken before I separated him.

This has also been a thing since yesterday and it has gotten a bit worse.

View attachment 3743653View attachment 3743656
Marek disease?

Back
Top Bottom