Star-Gazing Fits in week-old Chicks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PenzyHenz, May 16, 2017.

1. PenzyHenz

PenzyHenz Just Hatched

May 16, 2017
    Hello~
    A broody bantam of mine recently hatched 5 chicks a week ago. We have been keeping them, along with the mother, in a cardboard brooder in our house lined with newspaper and pine sawdust. We have also been regularly enhancing their drinking water with electrolytes. Today the mother stepped on a chick, rendering it to go into a muscular spasm and temporarily paralyzed. We took the broody out from the brooder to offset any additional injuries and promptly set up a heat lamp. Starting with the previously-injured chick, the entire clutch began developing these symptoms: First they act uncoordinated, peeping loudly; begin stargazing, then they slowly revive from their prostrate, post-gazing state after syringe-watering, while remaining unbalanced- some with their wings held out. They constantly act thirsty, yet they have been drinking religiously since Day 3- but they, as of this afternoon, are refusing feed. They are on the Purina Non-Medicated starter ration.
    Could this possibly be a Thiamin deficiency, as I have read?
    Thank you so much for any input in advance!

2. mustang56

mustang56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2012
    are you sure she didn't step on all of them...?
    We had a silkie chicken who did that to ducklings....
    sad...sad...
    try poly vi sol without IRON ... and gently rub their necks.... this is what we did with chicks a few times a day....
    who hurt each other about the neck.... and it helped...
    I hope its not what you think it is...
    take care...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by