Starbirds Chickens

I do like them all in black and white. But the plan is to get some bantam self-blue ameraucanas. When I try the ‘chicken color calculator’, entering the blue crossed w silver laced, it says half will be black and half will be blue laced, same for both sexes. That sounds intriguing.

http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm#flexcalculator
That sounds awesome! Would love to see blue laced and can't wait to see what you get! I'm a huge fan of buff laced myself. We might have gotten some more chickens.. will post about it soon, but two being Sebrights. My partner is a huge fan of the coloring, so we're inspired :)

Following! 🍿 Very interesting too. I'm working on getting my project going as well and what your doing is encouraging to me. 💖
Thank you! How exciting! What will your project be like- will you post about it? 💚 I'm so glad I can encourage you 😁

Hello again, everyone! I will get pictures of our hatched babies soon- they're feathering up SOOO much and getting SO big, but I am here with four new additions, bringing us to 19 chicks. We saw they had bantams in the TSC bin and did some finagling to try and pick the "most likely a hen" looking ones... because, chicken math y'know. (thankfully I have a friend that works there and loves handling the chicks haha)

This was the energy of my partner and I trying to pick the babies we wanted:
337372168_1502857160124019_625048220329068723_n.jpg

Back to the babies!

I picked out a white Silkie- the best looking one they had (may have a bit of a beard/feathered legs, has a decent crest, dark skin, and sort-of-correct toes, the others were kind of ugly and reminded me of the 2 silkie roosters we culled/ate due to aggression/appearance) but mostly I just fell in love with this silly little fragile thing. Won't be the best Silkie ever, but I am just a sucker, ok?

We're calling her "Sour Cream" and I don't think she'd ever eaten before I got her.
I have been feeding her 3x a day- a mash of chick crumbles, water, egg yolk, and a bit of molasses.
She has improved SO much since she arrived.
339343909_708077391111209_4277470029041133001_n.jpg

We also picked an Old English Game Bantam for my mom because the OEGBs are her favorite. She's named her "Stella"- soooo tiny. We picked the one with the darkest eyeliner since some people say you can sex them by that. We also keep an eye on their "stance" because that definitely seems to be a tell, even when that young .. we almost got another Mille Fleur D'uccle but it was standing straight up and we changed our mind lol.
339340314_210042351669919_6041303350057884814_n.jpg

And of course, with some inspiration from SueT (and the fact we love the coloring), we got a couple Sebrights too, to add the coloring to our flock. Of course we had to get one of each color. No names for these ones yet... or most of the other babies. Working on it! We like silly funny names.
339277089_773152417750153_1713705918773503124_n.jpg

339272800_521599756840764_2565829109149611612_n.jpg

It's wild- these babies are 1/3 the size of our hatched babies, and also 1/3 strong. Our babies are so healthy and active. These little ones are working hard to catch up. Everyone is doing great eating/drinking on their own, aside from lil miss Sour Cream, but like I said, I'm a sucker and don't mind babying her a bit.

Hello again, everyone! I will get pictures of our hatched babies soon- they're feathering up SOOO much and getting SO big, but I am here with four new additions, bringing us to 19 chicks. We saw they had bantams in the TSC bin and did some finagling to try and pick the "most likely a hen" looking ones... because, chicken math y'know. (thankfully I have a friend that works there and loves handling the chicks haha)

This was the energy of my partner and I trying to pick the babies we wanted:
View attachment 3451510
Back to the babies!

I picked out a white Silkie- the best looking one they had (may have a bit of a beard/feathered legs, has a decent crest, dark skin, and sort-of-correct toes, the others were kind of ugly and reminded me of the 2 silkie roosters we culled/ate due to aggression/appearance) but mostly I just fell in love with this silly little fragile thing. Won't be the best Silkie ever, but I am just a sucker, ok?

We're calling her "Sour Cream" and I don't think she'd ever eaten before I got her.
I have been feeding her 3x a day- a mash of chick crumbles, water, egg yolk, and a bit of molasses.
She has improved SO much since she arrived.
View attachment 3451489

We also picked an Old English Game Bantam for my mom because the OEGBs are her favorite. She's named her "Stella"- soooo tiny. We picked the one with the darkest eyeliner since some people say you can sex them by that. We also keep an eye on their "stance" because that definitely seems to be a tell, even when that young .. we almost got another Mille Fleur D'uccle but it was standing straight up and we changed our mind lol.
View attachment 3451490

And of course, with some inspiration from SueT (and the fact we love the coloring), we got a couple Sebrights too, to add the coloring to our flock. Of course we had to get one of each color. No names for these ones yet... or most of the other babies. Working on it! We like silly funny names.
View attachment 3451508
View attachment 3451509

It's wild- these babies are 1/3 the size of our hatched babies, and also 1/3 strong. Our babies are so healthy and active. These little ones are working hard to catch up. Everyone is doing great eating/drinking on their own, aside from lil miss Sour Cream, but like I said, I'm a sucker and don't mind babying her a bit.
Ahhhh!! Love the little white silkie and the sebrights! I just bought 9 new bantams last night! 5 partridge silkies, 2 Mille fleurs, and 2 OEB. Oh and your ones u think are OEGB are most likely old English bantams.

Ahhhh!! Love the little white silkie and the sebrights! I just bought 9 new bantams last night! 5 partridge silkies, 2 Mille fleurs, and 2 OEB. Oh and your ones u think are OEGB are most likely old English bantams.

Congrats on your new bantams too! Thank you! I wish I could find more Silkies (and literally any other breed) in my area! A total dry area right in my area, every breeder is 1-2 hours away. I might just buy some hatching eggs sometime and try that out sometime.

Is there a different abbreviation I should use? I have just been using OEGB as "Old English Game Bantams" but maybe "game" isn't supposed to be in the name.. I may have misunderstood that! Thank you so much- I'm always happy to learn. 💚

Congrats on your new bantams too! Thank you! I wish I could find more Silkies (and literally any other breed) in my area! A total dry area right in my area, every breeder is 1-2 hours away. I might just buy some hatching eggs sometime and try that out sometime.

Is there a different abbreviation I should use? I have just been using OEGB as "Old English Game Bantams" but maybe "game" isn't supposed to be in the name.. I may have misunderstood that! Thank you so much- I'm always happy to learn. 💚
At least you found some! It’s been very hard to find bantams were I’m at too. Wish the feed stores had better quality silkies though.

Most people think that the OEGB are what they are getting but feed stores have the OEGs. They’re still cute!

At least you found some! It’s been very hard to find bantams were I’m at too. Wish the feed stores had better quality silkies though.

Most people think that the OEGB are what they are getting but feed stores have the OEGs. They’re still cute!
So agreed on wishing for better quality!
Thank you for the heads up! If I ever slip up and say OEGB, know I always mean OEG bantams 😆

Back
Top Bottom