Stargazing rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Zinnia-Hen, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Zinnia-Hen

Zinnia-Hen Live & Let Live

Jan 29, 2011
    My Silkie rooster has been cocking his head and occasionally twisting his neck for the past couple of days, or stargazing, as I saw it was called. I thought he was just having one of those days, but no.

Other than stargazing and stumbling around, he seems okay. He seems to be eating and drinking and acting as mean as ever. The only thing that really worried me was that I had to help him into his coop to go to sleep an hour ago. He had a minor ear infection a couple of months ago, so I'm wondering if maybe that's it? One of his ears looks less clear (as in, there's a bit of... dust? I don't know how to explain it, just that there isn't any nasty discharge) than the other but I'm not really sure if it's infected or not. If this is the case, how should I treat the ear infection so it doesn't come back again?

If it's not an ear infection, then could it be a vitamin deficiency? And what should I use for that?

Thanks.

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Sav-A-Chick, if you have a feed store nearby. Or Poly-Vi-Sol baby vitamins without iron. Either one should be added to all water. Most likely it is a vitamin deficiency.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  3. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Stargazing is a associated with wry neck which is a vitamin e deficiency.He is on the verge of going into wry neck mode happened to this other person on BYC too.

Treatment

400iu of vitamin E per day

25mcg of selenium

They have every thing at Walgreens for wry neck/stargazing

Try not to feed him anything high in vitamin A as it affects the intake of vitamin E.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  4. Zinnia-Hen

Jan 29, 2011
    Oh my. Okay, thank you! I'll be going to the store soon anyway.

5. Zinnia-Hen

Jan 29, 2011
    Gave him the vitamin E and selenium mixed in with some yogurt. He took a couple of bites, but didn't seem too interested in it. His head is tilting further to the side and he's less active, and he doesn't want to leave the coop. I don't know if he's gonna pull through. [​IMG]

6. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Mix it with water, and administer orally via dropper. He'll have no choice but to swallow it down. However, it's been 48 since you first posted. You may have delayed treatment too long.

7. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Agree @junebuggena .You have to give it straight into his mouth.Make sure he is getting food and water.It takes a while for the treatment to start to work so don't get discouraged .

8. Zinnia-Hen

Jan 29, 2011
    We've been getting him to drink the vitamin E + selenium mixture through a dropper for the past couple of days. He seems to be active, just kind of disoriented in smaller spaces like his coop. But otherwise, he seems to be moving around the yard like he normally would, save for his head being cocked a bit, and is eating and drinking normally.

9. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Keep doing it for a week after he fully recovers or it will come back.Glad he is doing better

10. Zinnia-Hen

Jan 29, 2011
    Just letting everyone know that he's doing a lot better now. We've been giving him his stuff every other day now, but otherwise he seems to be getting around by himself. Thank you for all of the advice. I was really worried about him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by