Start dates on laying, typically? (Spring, not age)

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
I thought I might check what month you guys typically have your chickens and ducks start laying eggs in the spring, after the winter lay caused shut down?

And any suggestions to help get it going again?

Thanks very much.

We're still cold here and will have late frosts until end of April. That might not be totally related. (Zone 5 agriculture). I get that every place is a bit different on when they start up in spring for laying eggs again.

And it seems fun to hear from y'all on this. Thanks.

We're still cold here and will have late frosts until end of April. That might not be totally related. (Zone 5 agriculture).
Temps have little to do with it.
It's all about the length of daylight....and the individual birds(age/breed).

My younger birds(~1-2yo) started back up in January.
Older ones(~3-4yo) started back up in early March.
But, I use supplemental lighting.

Knowing geographical location would help with the info you're seeking.
Starting with yours @nao57
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1616334681227.png

My 9 almost 2 year old hens started back up the beginning of Feb, after molting in Dec & Jan. My 7 pullets hatched 8/27 started laying the beginning of February also.

My pullets from last year are all laying after most of them took a brief break for juvenile molt/slowly lengthening days. My younger hens (3 birds, approaching 3 yrs old) have all resumed laying with the last one of that group started up again this past week. My older hens (3 birds, approaching 5 yrs old), one resumed laying maybe a week ago, the other two have not resumed laying.

I can't wait! I have 15 hens who are all about 1 1/2 years old, and they seem to be close to finished molting. Lots of food going into those non-laying hens, and we miss the eggs! We've been getting 0, 1, or 2 eggs/day all through January so far. Last winter they only stopped for a couple weeks when it was super-cold.

Back
Top Bottom