start of my first meat bird experience

Pretty yummy! I am eating this one now...
big_smile.png
. I got into it a little before I took this pic...
big_smile.png

That happened with my on my first home grown bird - I mean getting in to it before you can even take a picture.

That happened with my on my first home grown bird - I mean getting in to it before you can even take a picture.
big_smile.png
...I couldn't wait to see how it tasted...lol. I suppose subconsciously I was thinking, no need to take a pic if it tastes like butt....
big_smile.png

SO how big is your tractor? ANd how many birds sis you have in it?

I'm putting an order in for 50 Cornish-x and two bronze broad chested turkeys. The stall I will be using is 10'x10' with an attached paddock that is 50'x20'. Just concerned that this wont be enough room for the meaties...

Thanks for adding in carolinagirl58!

SO how big is your tractor? ANd how many birds sis you have in it?

I'm putting an order in for 50 Cornish-x and two bronze broad chested turkeys. The stall I will be using is 10'x10' with an attached paddock that is 50'x20'. Just concerned that this wont be enough room for the meaties...

I have 25 Red Rangers in that 8' by 8' tractor. They are happy as long as I move them everyday. I think it all depends on what you want out of your birds. I'm looking out the window right now at my Cornish X I haven't butchered yet and they are jumpin', running around, trying to fly, just having a blast on fresh grass I put them on this morning. I like that.

I LOVE giving all my animals I own, whether for meat or pets, lots of enrichment!!! That's all I do for a living...lol.

If I was in your situation, I would do it. Then I would just watch what happens and fix whatever happens, if anything happens, that you are not liking.

I really like the moving them around everyday thing. I have to really watch that I keep my layers pen as much like a forest floor as I can and keep them entertained if I can't free range them or they get depreesed and quit laying. If I keep on the ball, they lay great all year around. No longer than we have these meaties, and what they are for, a person can go a lot of ways with that. If my meaties stayed in a set pen the whole time, they would like lots of hay that had lots of seeds in it, lots of grass thrown in there, I feed mine egg yolks, veggies, etc, I think. ...because they would have any set area bare, full of poop and be bored....lol.

I got Broad Breasted Bronze turkeys for the first time also at the same time as these meaties. They are a lot of fun!

Good Luck! Awesome thing to raise your own meat! I might have to do a fall run of chickens because I ate all these...lol.

Awesome! Thanks for the insight! The stall and paddock will be completely netted over. I have a lot of birds of prey where I live. But attached to the paddock is also a 1/2 grazing pasture. Im assuming once they are bigger they wont be doing any flying.

Then again. Would they even use the 1/2 acre field?

On top of the pasture, I will also have plenty of grass clippings, alfalfa chafe and veggie scraps.

Well, I probably did you no good....lol. I just do things and can't explain why worth a darn....
big_smile.png

That sounds great that your stall and paddock is completely netted over! I worry about predators myself. I'm playing with fire right now with my CX and how I have them.

On the half acre thing...I'm not sure??? Probably depends on a lot of variables, like how hungry they are, if you really want them out there....they could be trained to go out there, how you feed, where you feed, how hot, shade, how hungry they are...lol....how fast you want them to grow and how big you want them, etc. Quite a bit of what I do is the opposite of what I read people telling newbies to do. So I am probably not a good one to model anything after or ask...lol. .....and I was probably meant to just have just Red/Freedom Rangers, but I'm playing and seeing for myself just what these white monster things are like.

Red Rangers today...moving around a bunch...

CX eating today...

I can see why people buy or make feather pluckers....lol. I am getting a lot faster though and it will make me appreciate a feather plucker more....
big_smile.png
....if I ever get one.

I've started taking the CX for walks before their meals....

C'mon CX, you gotta earn it...
big_smile.png

Coming across here where I just moved their pen from...

....and rewarded..

Funny critters, for sure!!!

I just finished reading and looking at this entire thread. You have done a wonderful job showing your experience time line:) Also as a hobby shutter bug. I have to say your photos are very very good :) I really enjoyed the read.
thumbsup.gif

Your set up is fantastic!! I started doing Cornish X 2 years ago.. I love them. They are just a simple creature. Like you I like to give all my critters a happy enriched existence. I think it adds to the quality and health.

For what its worth information wise... I started fermenting my Cornish X feed the second year I raised them so after 2 batches. At first I was just not seeing the difference vs the work.. Then I got the process down to a science that worked for me :) Now I wouldn't raise them any other way. Health, Weight, Smell, all improved. Also I raise/ feed them out for several folks. One of which is an older man that had raised his own for years.. He swears that the the ones we raise taste so much better than any bird before :) At first he thought I was a little goofy ( lol , little did he know
lau.gif
) for fermenting and allowing the birds to free range. Then he saw them on processing day and ate them and he has praised me several times:) Everyone comments on the size of the birds and the taste. But to me the real praise came from the older farmer and his wife. It made me feel like I had really done something right when I got kuddos from the "Experienced folks "
old.gif
:)
FF also decreased my feed cost... since the fermentation releases or allows for the birds to digest the feed better they retain the protein rather than it ending up on the ground:) This year I have 5 new families that want me to raise meat birds for them, all from word of mouth (or maybe taste :)
droolin.gif

Anyways its defiantly doable and like you I have a blast working the whole process from chick to table :)

PS We are just starting out with meat rabbits :) I'm doubtful I can Finnish them
hide.gif
... Told Hubby I will raise them and care for them.. Then on D-day I will take my daughter and make a long day shopping .... When I get back I understand that the rabbits will be gone.. but he need understand that the mess from the day also should be gone
roll.png
big_smile.png

Thanks Again for sharing :)

Back
Top Bottom