Start of respiratory issue?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ambe0487, Nov 29, 2016.

1. ambe0487

ambe0487 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2015
    Urbandale, IA
    I have a 8 week old chick that I noticed had some (possible) dried discharge on her nostril when I put her to bed tonight. I haven't noticed any additional symptoms of a respiratory issue but want to keep on top of this.

Our outdoor temps have dropped down into the 40's recently. They had been out in the yard for 4 hours today and it was quite windy so I wasn't sure if that could cause the possible drainage.

Is there something I can do to stop this before it gets to a point that I need antibiotics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would just keep an eye on her for any sneezing, gasping, or eye/nasal drainage. They can get feed and water stuck to their beaks easily. You should see signs of lethargy and the above symptoms if there is a problem. Make sure you have dry beeding and good overhead ventilation without direct drafts. Antibiotics are not a good idea unless there is a bacterial infection. They don't work on viruses or fungal diseases. Most feed stores will not stock oral antibiotics after the end of 2016.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by