start of week four

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bj taylor, Feb 26, 2012.

1. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    all chicks are still alive & well. we've been through a trauma of feather picking. my personal opinion (someone who knows next to nothing about chickens) is that feather picking is a combination of breed specifics, space too small, lack of stimulation (entertainment). white light probably contributes, but i can't attest one way or another.
    i have moved my gang to the coop. let me tell you it sucks to have to take 2 - 3 trips to the coop versus the garage to check on the darlins during the night.
    the little beasties are looking more and more like chickens - can you believe it?
    'precious' (buff orp) always approaches to be picked up ( which continues to shock me). today she had to share space on my knee because 'sheriff' (also a buff orp) (probably a roo in the making) decided to join her. that shocked me too.
    my silver laced wyandottes, who have been the worst bullies, are starting to have a little beauty. they watch the buff orp ones approach me & decide to check me out too. the barred rocks & the black australorps ignore me.
    my hubby has created a temporary corral out from the pop door. we're going to open the door very soon & watch to see who dares to follow the sunshine.
    this has been a great journey. it's just that they are so vulnerable it scares me to go out there & find they've succumbed to any number of assaults.
    i have intent they will be dual purpose, but how would i ever eat a darlin named 'precious' or a hero named 'sheriff'?

2. bestpractice

bestpractice Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2011
    I moved mine out to the chicken house last week. I always check on them in the morning and at night, and through the day if possible. I don't get up at night. You are a better chick mum than I :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by