started a pallet coop today

For some reason, my pc isn't recognizing my memory card, so today's pictures are in limbo. I took this one with my phone. We put roofing on today, finished the siding. We didn't have enough boards to do all the way around, so we covered one side with T 1-11 siding that we were going to use to build a tack room, but that can wait. I also covered the windows and vents with hardware cloth.
I'm using pallets to build a separate area for the new girls inside, with their own pop door to a separate run. But once they are living with the old girls, I'll turn that area into a storage area, or I can easily use it as a "hospital coop" if I need one...

fit for a king..............Well done you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Niceee insulation! Is it just hay? or did you have to mix anything else with the hay to make it stay?

And what a very beautiful & ecofriendly coop you have created!

Thanks ChickenLeg!
smile.png

I am SO excited to move the girls in!

It's just straw on the inside. I had to put in a couple of supporting boards where some of the pallet boards were missing - to hold the straw in.

Do you think the hens will pull all the stuffing out? The floor will be covered with straw, too.

I'm going to use Rice Hulls in the nesting boxes.

ok...so I learned a good lesson - thought I'd share. (but then you prolly all knew about this already)

Anyway, when we put the window in, we put it in backwards - so we could open and close it from the outside.

I didn't realize the drain holes would drain to the inside! LOL! My girls haven't moved in yet - no harm done, but just thought I share that little piece of info - - -

ok...so I learned a good lesson - thought I'd share. (but then you prolly all knew about this already)

Anyway, when we put the window in, we put it in backwards - so we could open and close it from the outside.

I didn't realize the drain holes would drain to the inside!  LOL!   My girls haven't moved in yet - no harm done, but just thought I share that little piece of info - - -

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU for the tip. That was a good idea though - being able to open and close it from the outside. ;)

tyjaco, I LOVE your coop! Nice and rustic, and green! I so wish I had a pile of 'left over' lumber to side my coop with. Yours turned out great. And thanks for the tip on the window--it's something I would have done, as well.

Back
Top Bottom