1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Started building my Coop!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mnbrewdude, Jan 30, 2016.

1. modernsettlers

modernsettlers Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2015
    Petaluma, CA
    Part of the fun (for me) is designing systems to make caring for the chickens easier. We have 30 something birds now and I only have to spend about 15 minutes a day for care, and one day a week spend an hour or so for maintenence and cleaning. Depending on what's going on when at work, it's the best part of my day.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Chickens are easy or hard or in between, it all depends on how much you want to do, mine takes me hours because I get sucked into sitting down and watching them, time flies by, I suggest a large cup of coffee, until you see it, you would never understand why a scratching chicken is so entertaining.

3. mnbrewdude

mnbrewdude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2016
    Southeast Minnesota
    Thanks for all the kind words! I had planned on framing a 12/12 pitch roof, but the more I sit and look at what I have right now, I think a basic angled roof would be easier and the aesthetics not very much different. I am planning on having one of the narrow ends of the coop have a large access door so I can access coop for bedding maintenance and water/food, but I'm not sure how most of you guys framed up the end wall so it is still structurally sound.

4. potato chip

potato chip Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

But that's not work, that's fun.

5. mnbrewdude

Jan 22, 2016
    Southeast Minnesota
    Well the framing is all complete now, laminate flooring will be installed today and what I predict to be the most difficult part will begin (building joists) should commence soon after. Now things are looking far more permanent and my wife even asked a few questions, so that's a win in my book!

6. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    It's always good to have the spouse on board...makes everything easier [​IMG]

7. mnbrewdude

Jan 22, 2016
    Southeast Minnesota
    On board and asking a few questions are different things in my family, but I'll take any baby steps I can get. Once she sees the little ones this should be a much smoother transition for her,

8. yochickiemomma

yochickiemomma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2015
    Michigan
    My husband still isn't completely on board and I've had my girls for almost a year. He has agreed that I can have chickens as long as I care for them and keep the coop and run clean and stink free. I have 9.

9. potato chip

potato chip Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

I think the transition will be complete when she tastes that first really-fresh egg....

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    What?! no pics?!?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by