Started building my Coop!

With two kids under 3, a dog and a cat, I think the wife fears that the chickens will be hours of work a day

Part of the fun (for me) is designing systems to make caring for the chickens easier. We have 30 something birds now and I only have to spend about 15 minutes a day for care, and one day a week spend an hour or so for maintenence and cleaning. Depending on what's going on when at work, it's the best part of my day.

Last edited:
Chickens are easy or hard or in between, it all depends on how much you want to do, mine takes me hours because I get sucked into sitting down and watching them, time flies by, I suggest a large cup of coffee, until you see it, you would never understand why a scratching chicken is so entertaining.

Thanks for all the kind words! I had planned on framing a 12/12 pitch roof, but the more I sit and look at what I have right now, I think a basic angled roof would be easier and the aesthetics not very much different. I am planning on having one of the narrow ends of the coop have a large access door so I can access coop for bedding maintenance and water/food, but I'm not sure how most of you guys framed up the end wall so it is still structurally sound.

Chickens are easy or hard or in between, it all depends on how much you want to do, mine takes me hours because I get sucked into sitting down and watching them, time flies by, I suggest a large cup of coffee, until you see it, you would never understand why a scratching chicken is so entertaining.
But that's not work, that's fun.

Well the framing is all complete now, laminate flooring will be installed today and what I predict to be the most difficult part will begin (building joists) should commence soon after. Now things are looking far more permanent and my wife even asked a few questions, so that's a win in my book!

Well the framing is all complete now, laminate flooring will be installed today and what I predict to be the most difficult part will begin (building joists) should commence soon after. Now things are looking far more permanent and my wife even asked a few questions, so that's a win in my book!

It's always good to have the spouse on board...makes everything easier
thumbsup.gif

On board and asking a few questions are different things in my family, but I'll take any baby steps I can get. Once she sees the little ones this should be a much smoother transition for her,

My husband still isn't completely on board and I've had my girls for almost a year. He has agreed that I can have chickens as long as I care for them and keep the coop and run clean and stink free. I have 9.

On board and asking a few questions are different things in my family, but I'll take any baby steps I can get. Once she sees the little ones this should be a much smoother transition for her,
I think the transition will be complete when she tastes that first really-fresh egg....

What?! no pics?!?

Back
Top Bottom