Started incubator on February 21st

Well, by the time they're as far along as ours are, they are actually producing some of their own heat, and they can survive heat loss much better than when they are younger. Metzer Farms has a good article on it, let me see if I can find it. My hatch was pretty good, only lost one egg.

Edit: Here it is: http://metzerfarms.blogspot.com/2011/08/what-temperatures-kill-in-incubator.html

Thank-you!!...That article cleared up a lot of my questions ...despite the whole gross balut side story:)

Ok. So I'm joining in late. I set 35 eggs on the 21st also. 4 Phoenix, 6 Orpington, 12 shipped olive egger and 2 Cuckoo maram and 11 of my own cuckoo maran over Easter egger. I candled on day 14 and haspd lost a Phoenix and a Orpington (both shipped). Can't wait for lockdown tomorrow night! Didn't take notes all along but have only opened the hive actor up maybe 5 times for adding water and the candling. :)

Welcome! Good luck with your hatch, not long now before we should all have chicks! and of course I'm turning around and setting more right away for the Easter hatchalong, lol.

Ok. So I'm joining in late. I set 35 eggs on the 21st also. 4 Phoenix, 6 Orpington, 12 shipped olive egger and 2 Cuckoo maram and 11 of my own cuckoo maran over Easter egger. I candled on day 14 and haspd lost a Phoenix and a Orpington (both shipped). Can't wait for lockdown tomorrow night! Didn't take notes all along but have only opened the hive actor up maybe 5 times for adding water and the candling. :)

Hello and good luck with your hatch!! :) I'll be putting my eggs on lock down Wednesday evening. I can't wait!!!

I started a hatch (my first!) on the 21st as well! Doing this as part of a science unit for my kindergartener so we only set 12 eggs. 1 wasn't fertile and 1 stopped developing between day 7 and day 14. I am about to do the day 18 candling and then put them into lockdown. How are yall hatching?? Trying to decide if I should set them in a carton or leave them lying down with the lowest part of the air cell up??

I started a hatch (my first!) on the 21st as well! Doing this as part of a science unit for my kindergartener so we only set 12 eggs. 1 wasn't fertile and 1 stopped developing between day 7 and day 14. I am about to do the day 18 candling and then put them into lockdown. How are yall hatching?? Trying to decide if I should set them in a carton or leave them lying down with the lowest part of the air cell up??

I always lay mine down to hatch as long as the air cells look good and aren't detached or something. Congrats on your first hatch. You must be excited.

Thanks Pyxis! Air cells all look good so I just put 10 eggs into lockdown...filled my channels (I have a LG still-air) with water and put a cup of water with a paper towel in as well because I'm paranoid about the humidity not being high enough :-/ I am super excited to see how many we end up with!

Lock down for me too!!! Of my 18 Orpington eggs, 17 are definitely alive and one is kinda iffy.....because I wasn't sure, I left it in. I'm still amazed that they're growing after 29 hours of 40 degree temps on day 12.
My sister says I'm growing little zombie chicks and they're going to kill me in my sleep:)....we watch WAY too much of The Walking Dead...LOL

5 of my 10 eggs had pipped when I woke up this morning and I can hear cheeping and see rocking and rolling....SO exciting!!

Back
Top Bottom