Started laying...now stopped

Chickymama0505

Chirping
Mar 21, 2018
Maryland, USA
My Easter eggers and one RIR turned 18 weeks last Thursday and I found an egg in the nest box! Then there was another one later in the day. On last Friday I found another, however, since then there has been nothing. It has been really hot here in Maryland this past week (100 degree days), but they have everything they need. They have been spending a lot of time underneath bushes in my garden and I have been checking there for eggs and see nothing. Last Sunday my rooster found a new home , could that be why?. Is it because it’s so hot? I’ve been giving them the layer feed and oyster shells and fresh water, and they are free to roam in the yard. I don’t know why they’ve stopped laying. Is it because they are still young? . Thanks for any help anyone can give!.

Could be all of them things. Could be you need to hang out with them if you have the day off.
They can fit into places you wouldn't believe to lay an egg.
If you have a large pen, keep them in it till noon. My girls lay before 10am most days. GC

The same thing happened with my Olive Egger and Super blue egg layer. They we're just starting to lay (the super blue egg layer laid three days in a row!) But there has been nothing for the past week. My guess is that it is related to the heat and them forgetting where to find their water. I have started putting more water sources around the yard and feeding them high protein and high calcium snacks (e.g. cottage cheese mixed with crushed eggshells and mealworms). I'm hoping it helps! Good luck!

Heat can be a big factor in reduced laying. Also, if a hen is just starting out, she may not get into full egg production right away. It is completely normal for hens to not lay regularly when they first start. When my Buff Orpingtons first started laying (I had 9 of them) I would get anywhere from 2-7 eggs a day from them. It took a month or so to get 6-9 eggs a day from them.

Thanks everyone!, I will try all those things. And I will keep checking the bushes. I figured it might be because they are just starting to lay and maybe the heat. I noticed that when I let them out of the run, the head straight for the bushes to the shade to cool off and I don’t see them for a few hours. And I guess if they aren’t heading back tot the coop to drink then I need to put more water out where they hang.

Thanks everyone!, I will try all those things. And I will keep checking the bushes. I figured it might be because they are just starting to lay and maybe the heat. I noticed that when I let them out of the run, the head straight for the bushes to the shade to cool off and I don’t see them for a few hours. And I guess if they aren’t heading back tot the coop to drink then I need to put more water out where they hang.
New layers will lay in the strangest spots. If you want consistency, I would put a Rubbermaid tote with a hole cut in the short end (make sure you weigh down the bottom with sand or rocks so it doesn't flip) and place it out where they hang out and put a few false eggs or golf balls in there to tempt them. Once they get used to laying in that box, you can move it where it is more convenient for you.

Hens lay eggs in cycles. The first cycle us often just a couple of eggs and then a break. Breeds that are high production will often not have a break between egg cycles and lay eggs through them. Normally you would expect Two to 5 eggs and then a one day break.

That is after they have set a rhythm though. At first they are not very regular. 18 weeks is early for EEs and a bit early for RIRs. 22 weeks is the average for all breeds. The variation is 16 weeks to a year depending on breed and time of year.

You will notice the eggs getting bigger until they get to their normal size with each cycle too.

What you are seeing is normal for pullets that are starting out laying. Don't stress too much over it.

One thing to remember is that they are animals and not a vending machine. One Dollar in does not always get you a bag of chips. Sometimes it seems like there is not correlation between what you feed them and how many eggs they lay.

Enjoy those new eggs!

Back
Top Bottom