Started my first hatch 6/16, think I fried them already.

Goodness, I didn't realize that Hovabator was so cheap, or I'd have bought that instead of this stupid LG. Having the egg turner in there now, and the bator staying closed seems to have helped a lot though, the temp is much easier to regulate. I'm praying for even just one chick.

Squishypuff, I worked with my LG last night until about 2:30 AM. Went out this morning around 9:30 and it was up to 104. I called and ordered a Reptipro 5000 with two egg turners. It costs 279.00 although you can get one without the egg turners for $159.00. That is only $60 more than the LG with egg turner. Tractor Supply told me I can return the LG when I get the other in so that will be $100 back in my pocket. Should be here Tuesday or Wednesday. I hope my eggs will make it till then. Guess I can candle them then and see if anything is going on.

I talked to the guy for a long time about the Reptipro incubator. The 2 egg turner model holds 32 eggs. He straight up told me that the heat sensor is too close to the heater which makes the digital readout show about 2 degrees hotter than it really is. But you put a cup of water in there for a few hours then stick a thermometer in it to get a reading. Then compare it to the digital readout, make the proper allowance and set it. It has a fan which keeps the temps and humidity even. If it is all he says it should be an awesome machine.

I have 3 thermometers in my LG right now. One is laying right on the rack, one is an outdoor therm. with the probe stuck right to the top of an egg, and the other is a meat thermometer sticking through the top with the point level with the top of the eggs. All of them are digital, and I checked the calibration on the meat thermometer myself and it is dead on. When the meat therm. reads 100 degrees, the one with the probe shows 98 and the one on the rack is 97. AND I HAVE A FAN IN IT!

I would have went with the cheaper Reptipro for $159.00 that does not have the egg turners, but I know I'll like being able to actually go somewhere for a day and not having to worry about it. Can't go anywhere while using this LG. Heck, I can't even get a decent night's sleep!

Good luck with your eggs. Keep us informed how your eggs do and any changes made if you decide to.

I started my first hatch in a styrofoam hand made incubator, with a nightlight bulb.. I checked the therm in the morning and it was 120. Thought I fried them too. My lay date was 6/07/11 but one is wiggling out of nien and I am a few days away from hatch day. So u probably could get a chick or a few.

It spiked again, but only to 102, for a couple hours. I have it back down again. Having the turner makes a big difference. I have 3 themometers too- a meat therm hanging down through one of the holes where the red plugs would be, the therm that came with the incubator sitting atop the eggs, and a separate therm/hygrometer on the other side on top of the eggs. None of them ever read the same. The meat therm reads a degree or two higher, which makes sense because it is hanging down rather close to the heating element.

We'll see, I guess.

Quote:
I agree..
thumbsup.gif
You can also go buy a PC fan and install it, I think you can get them on ebay for a couple bucks cheaper than the $50 fan made for the incubator.

Quote:
I would only put one thermometer in the bator, Because if you have more than one you will find your self second guessing. Just use the most accurate one.

My guess is that the digital meat thermometer is the most accurate, though I'm not entirely sure. It's done me well for cooking... LOL! I have a very hard time reading the non-digital variety, my vision is kinda screwy with those tiny little tic marks.

I'm thinking I want to get the Hovabator Genesis. Or the 1583 Turbofan one. I'm not sure which.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HovaBator-Low-V...457?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35a8d7c829
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Turbofan-Ho...986?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e624ee6fa

Which would you guys get?

I like the turbo fan... Personally so far circulated is the way to go. But I also have heard good things about the little giant... It's a still air, but you could put a pc fan in it..

Back
Top Bottom