started on a homemade bator hatcher.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by killer, Mar 23, 2009.

1. killer

killer Chillin' With My Peeps

this one is 16 x 16 x 16 inches. got some ideas. might can use a few more. like light placement or ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    well is it gonna be on its side like that or with a lid on top?
    And its to late at night for me to have ideas I was just wondering?

3. killer

that's the way it's going to sit. i'm going to put a door on it with a 8 x10 clear window in it i think. and the bottom is cut out where i think i'm going to put on of those rectangle hospital bed pans in it. i hope i can hatch in those with out melting it. it's not set in stone yet. i'm thinking of just hatching in this thing.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  4. HappyHatch'en

HappyHatch'en Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    GEORGIA
    What did you put on it? or is it made out of fiber-glass? I would question the smell of what-ever you sealed it with. You won't need much of a heat source for being so small and make sure the door seals well. Good Luck!
    HappyHatch'en

5. killer

just acrylic paint. i can go back and seal it with something else.

6. HappyHatch'en

HappyHatch'en Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    GEORGIA
    acrylic paint will be fine...it looked like rosin from fiberglass....having the satisfaction of building your own bator is very rewarding and educational.
    HappyHatch'en

7. killer

i still like a little more work on it. like figuring out how many air holes and where to put them. I'm thinking of putting the light right in the middle of the back. and the HW thermistat in on the right side in the middle.

8. killer

i had to just throw it together because my father-in-law showed up with 11/2 doz. of RIR eggs i asked him for about 2 weeks ago. and my LG is full right now. so here is a few pictures. if yall have any ideas. throw them this way because these eggs are going it in the morning if everything look good temp wise.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by