Started on my Coop today that is going to be on a 6' x 10' trailer

Chicken_man_J

Songster
Apr 21, 2023
SE Florida
There was going to be a day without rain until evening in south Florida. Therefore, started to work on my coop that;s going to be on a 6' x 10' trailer out of recycled materials. Purchased the trailer for $425 and bought screws, aluminum corrugated roof panels, 1/2 hardware cloth, and wood for nesting boxes to finish coop. Plan is making a 6' x 68" coop. Started this morning and got everything loaded and covered with tarps before rain at 5:00. coop trailer  and utility tariler.jpeg move wood to utility trailer.jpeg coop trailer sides removed and cleaned.jpeg saw horse and plywood set up before cutting for frame.jpeg cutting lunber for frame.jpeg floor frame outline.jpeg lumber for coop frame.jpeg coop frame with floor joists.jpeg coop frame on trailer to check fit before joists intalled.jpeg coop in trailer after screwed.jpeg coop frame and extra reamiang wood in trailer.jpeg

Attachments

• coop trailer tarped right befor rain.jpeg
    coop trailer tarped right befor rain.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • recylced wood 1.jpeg
    recylced wood 1.jpeg
    700.9 KB · Views: 2
  • recylced wood 2.jpeg
    recylced wood 2.jpeg
    736.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Following! :pop Looking good so far.

Are you planning for your coop to be mobile?

How tall will it be? I highly recommend it being tall enough for you to stand up in. Your back will appreciate it.
Its not going to be mobile. My old coop started to leak water and the exterior nesting box stated to get wet. Was going to be more expensive to repair it, rather than building a new coop or purchase one from someone locally. I wanted to build it to my preferences with internal nesting boxes. Decided to purchase the trailer off Offers Up and used recycled materials, other thank what I purchased. Purchased trailer from Offer Up, aluminum roof panels off Craigslist, wood for nesting boxes and screws from Lowes, hardware cloth and paint from Home Depot. Not going to build it as a walk due to at the right height on a trailer. I can open the doors on the back of the trailer and have access to the coop side door. Using my existing coop for some ideas while getting input from members and picture of coop build threads on here. Building it similar to the one I have. Figure it would be better to build it myself financial speaking and to my liking. The recycled materials cost time and gas in my truck. Going to notch the plywood sheets for the floor and get linoleum from a focal flooring store being they sell me scraps. Probably designing purlins for my metal roof. With internal nesting boxes will be able to access eggs and change the nesting boxes bedding from the back. Removed the wood panels on the front and going to put in a door to enter and exit the coop and building a ramp for them to get onto the trailer. Also designing roosting spots. My hens free range during the day and use coop for safety and lying eggs. This site has given me great ideas and information. Including square footage being 4 square feet per bird. Having nine hens equals 36 square feet. The coupe I'm in building is 96" x 68" resulting in 45.33 square feet. This site has been informative as this is my first set of birds. In the future when I build I secured coop will be a stand up. Still debating on purchasing horizontal nipples or rent a coop water cups. Ordering rent a coop feeder so there's less waste.

Last edited:
Decided to add additional floor frame support frame beams on front and back. Took off sides of trailer to help ventilation. Debating on taking front board out for more ventilation in addition to side plywood boards I took out.

Attachments

• supprt beam added  on front side opened.jpeg
    supprt beam added on front side opened.jpeg
    427.8 KB · Views: 3
  • side opened.jpeg
    side opened.jpeg
    421.1 KB · Views: 3
  • supprt beam added  on back.jpeg
    supprt beam added on back.jpeg
    601.3 KB · Views: 4
Had a break from the rain and did some more work on the coop I'm building. Got the floor cut, painted, and installed. Next step will be installing the linoleum. Covered it back up with tarps due to foretasted rain.

Attachments

• hen on table saw.jpeg
    hen on table saw.jpeg
    574.7 KB · Views: 6
  • floor installed  on coop trailer from back.jpg
    floor installed on coop trailer from back.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 6
  • floor panels painted on saw horses.jpeg
    floor panels painted on saw horses.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
There was going to be a day without rain until evening in south Florida. Therefore, started to work on my coop that;s going to be on a 6' x 10' trailer out of recycled materials. Purchased the trailer for $425 and bought screws, aluminum corrugated roof panels, 1/2 hardware cloth, and wood for nesting boxes to finish coop. Plan is making a 6' x 68" coop. Started this morning and got everything loaded and covered with tarps before rain at 5:00.View attachment 3495385View attachment 3495387View attachment 3495388View attachment 3495389View attachment 3495390View attachment 3495391View attachment 3495393View attachment 3495394View attachment 3495395View attachment 3495396View attachment 3495399
Pretty neat idea : )

Its not going to be mobile.
If it's not going to be mobile then why build on the trailer at all? Not getting that. Might be a better question as to what you mean consider to be mobile. As in just movable, like a mobile home or driven from place to place like a travel trailer. Are you going to just park it and never ever move it?

In any case it looks like a good start. I would make sure that I could sand up inside.

If it's not going to be mobile then why build on the trailer at all? Not getting that. Might be a better question as to what you mean consider to be mobile. As in just movable, like a mobile home or driven from place to place like a travel trailer. Are you going to just park it and never ever move it?

In any case it looks like a good start. I would make sure that I could sand up inside.

Thank you, reason being built on a trailer is ability to take to future property.
Adding up costs and time would have been higher than repairing current coop. Additionally, building a stationary coop then having to tear down and rebuild in the future would've costed more. An all-around savings of time and expenses were calculated in this build. Thankfully, being built on this trailer makes it at the correct height.
Should make sense once as I post updates and once completed.

Thank you, reason being built on a trailer is ability to take to future property.
Adding up costs and time would have been higher than repairing current coop. Additionally, building a stationary coop then having to tear down and rebuild in the future would've costed more. An all-around savings of time and expenses were calculated in this build. Thankfully, being built on this trailer makes it at the correct height.
Should make sense once as I post updates and once completed.
No. No. It makes perfect sense. I like it so far. I would have gone a different route tho. I'm a trailer guy. and I have around 14 trailers. i just can't see myself restricting any of them to just one use. Especially when that use is once in a blue moon type thing. Although, I have one that I will be using for but not converting into a coop. For the same reason, to move when the time comes. I will be going in the direction of makin it like one of those removable camper "homes". Again look like it's coming along nice. Look forward to seeing the end product.

Ever considered a demountable camper? - Practical Motorhome

Got to work on the coop today prior to thunder and decided to cover and tarp in case of rain. Pictures are of linoleum on floor, front of trailer on tongue side side with board removed, then frame built with ventilation in mind. Will continue updating build. Rowdy came up to enjoy shade

Attachments

• view from side of trailer with framing for ventilation.jpeg
    view from side of trailer with framing for ventilation.jpeg
    621.8 KB · Views: 3
  • coop with front board removed and rframed for ventilation.jpeg
    coop with front board removed and rframed for ventilation.jpeg
    550 KB · Views: 3
  • floor with linoleum.jpeg
    floor with linoleum.jpeg
    580.9 KB · Views: 4
  • view fron tongue of framing with Rowdy in the coop enjoying th shade.jpeg
    view fron tongue of framing with Rowdy in the coop enjoying th shade.jpeg