Started the new chicks with the nipple waterer this time.

jmagill

Songster
Mar 9, 2009
Western Wyoming
Six new hatchlings in the bator( more still hatching). I put the nipple waterer in before I put them in. No regular chick waterer.
They have discovered it and are all ready using it. We will no longer be using the regular waterer. Saves on floor space and clean up.

Cool! I was looking at those 'chicken nipples' on ebay the other day and thinking I might give them a go. I have eggs due to hatch out in about a week. Think I'll go order myself some. Did you hold them up to it to wet their beaks and show them how it worked?

I was thinking about getting some of those, but didn't know if they tend to drip like the hamsters bottles do........

I tried using a water bottle hung on the side of the brooder and like you mentioned, the chicks just went right up to it and figured it out. But it did drip after they used it and then they had wet bedding.
sad.png

I would love to get the regular chick waterer out of their brooder - it's always full of shavings no matter how high I set it up and no matter how often I change it.
he.gif

I'm so glad to read this! I have a couple of plastic roasted peanut containers I've saved that are a good weight, size, and shape to hang in the brooder box -- just need to order some nipples. I wasn't sure if I should put a regular fount waterer in for any that might be slower to learn but then I thought that if I get day olds, they know nothing and will need to learn no matter what type of waterer is being used so I may as well start with what I want to use later.

Check with Neil Grassbaugh on this site for water nipples. He has the best price and cheapest shipping I could find and also ships them to you quick, got mine in about 4 days.

Dan

Thank you so much for the contact name of Neil Grassbaugh for the chicken nipples.
I have seen a bunch of info on the actual making of the waterers, but no contact info!
I hope to find the great chicken nipple provider
smile.png

You can search for his name and find him that way but his inbox is full right now... Neil, you need to clean out your mailbox.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom