Started the new coop today (Nov 06 photos - more progress)

Quote:
Well, Andy lives in Redding, so it's a little over an hour to get here. I take it you are east of Redding? E-mail me directly with your contact information and I'll ask him to contact you.

Sorry off topic Gregg but, the picture of Mount Shasta brings back memories.......I see the chunk of the mountain on the left side is still missing.....lol. I noticed the missing piece sits about 20-30 miles to the left of that pic.....

Well, I warned ya. I get carried away with these projects, and carried away we have become... It was a great day. We made a bunch of progress. Both roof trusses were installed on the top plates today, and blocking was established for the inner sheathing.

By nightfall, we have all the rafters in place. We have attempted to create a sway roof like Nugget's roof, but because the span of the ridge is 14 feet, it probably will not be as pronounced. However, once the oak leaves fall, that will be the view from the street and it will be interesting to see if it makes a difference. Tomorrow morning we will install the roof decking (7/16" OSB) and move on to installing the siding.

Anyhow, below is a progress photo during the day, and other images from the day including one of our remarkable sunsets bouncing off Mount Shasta are here .

main.php

This weekend we finished building the rafters, installed the roof sheathing, most of the fascia boards and 2 of the windows.

Below is an image showing the sway roofline we have built. It's not as pronounced as Nugget's because our ridge is 14' in length. But the view from the street, particularly in the winter when the oak leaves are down, is a direct view of the ridge so it will look really good.

main.php

It's going to rain all week so late last night I was crawling the ridge of the roof installing tarps. Just to give you a sense of what that was like, the shed is on 18" piers, and the peak of the roof is 13' above that. Crawling up the extension ladder in the darkness, then spreading out 12x20 tarps in the wind was far from amusing.

Ya, I know - thanks. wait until it has siding and the windows/doors/trim. it's going to be amazing. Half will be Sunny's potting/garden shed, and the other half will be coop. If we sell this place and clean it out, it could be a guest cottage.

Quote:
Please, don't remind me. I know. Lord do I know... But that was the problem - when I do something, I tend to over-do it. And thus I have... Completely gone silly.

The good news is it will serve multiple purposes. Storage, garden/potting shed, coop - and room for expansion in case SHE decides 9 birds are not enough!

Back
Top Bottom