1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Started the new Coop, Updated

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Bird Hearder, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Bird Hearder

Bird Hearder Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    Salisbury, Md.
    I haven't had chickens for a few years now but starting over.
    So this is the start. We have a nice shady location out back on the property, (almost an acre) Shaded from afternoon sun.
    I only plan on about 6-12 Birds for the eggs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I have a couple af questions.
    1) I've been seeing talk about a Dropping bin. below the roost. How high should the top of the roost Be for them to be able to get up to it?
    2) Nesting Box? I have read thay they will take turns using the same box to lay. Is this true? or should I have more than 1 box, Seperate Stalls [​IMG]
    any other pointers appreciated.
    Thanks
    BH

Last edited: Apr 19, 2008
  2. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    If you think they will have trouble getting up to the roosts, you can always add a small ladder. I would put roosts anywhere below the top foot and a half.

Birds like to roost up high, but you can also add other roosts below the top one.

I read there should be 1 nesting box per 4 hens, so if you have 12 hens, three would suffice.

I love your coop so far. We need to work on ours more this weekend.

3. sootman

sootman Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2007
    Bucks County Pa.
    Hi Bh,
    Nice coop
    I didnt bother with a dropping bin. I just clean out the coop once a month or so. I have 6 chickens. They really are no trouble at all.
    I have two nests and they use them both. Never the same each day. sometimes all eggs in one nest, other times 3 and 3 so on....

4. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Nice to see another Marylander joining us WELCOME. I have 11 hens in baltimore county. I use a pastured poultry tractor system for my 11 egg laying hens. I have about an acre.

Good luck,
    Henry

5. hobobrando

hobobrando Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Vermont
    Looking good. What did you use to level the platform?

6. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    I have an ascending roost using thick branches: first branch is 12” off the ground they are 12” apart & go up to about 4’ high!

I started at 12” off ground because I have some heavy breeds that will develop leg problems from coming off a roost that is to high!

A covered dropping pit will keep the chickens from walking in poop: which is much healthier for them! It will also keep the rest of the coop cleaner.

7. Bird Hearder

Apr 10, 2008
    Salisbury, Md.
    Quote:I used Cynder blocks as a riser to keep the wood off the ground. you sort of see in the pic where I framed in a 2x6 pad to sit on blocks. Only ended up having to shim 1 corner about a 1/4 in. to level.

A covered dropping pit will keep the chickens from walking in poop: which is much healthier for them! It will also keep the rest of the coop cleaner

I read online about a Poop box with the roost's sitting right above it, the top was hinged and had outside framing for easy cleaning, litter or shavings in the box gets removed. Then floor shavings go in the box. fresh on floor.
    I'm just trying to figure out whats better before I get to far into it. I'd rather do it now then once it's all closed up.
    Thanks for the help
    BH​

8. ozarkjeep

ozarkjeep Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2008
    Fayetteville, AR
    im following the advice given as well.

the removable tray, or "drawer" for mess under the roosting area seems like a great way for me to spend less time inside the coop trying to sweep or shovel or whatever the mess out.

remove drawer, dump where you want it, that seems much simpler to me.

9. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    I would make a post to ask to see roost & droping pit!

You want to make it as easy to clean as possible weather you have 6 or 12!

you want to have an outside door that you can empty out in wheel barrel & dump!!!

10. Bird Hearder

Apr 10, 2008
    Salisbury, Md.
    I'm getting closer. It's not turning out to bad for an electrician [​IMG] I can't remember the last time I built anything LOL

some frame work
    [​IMG]
    Wild rafters
    [​IMG]
    Roosts
    [​IMG]
    Looks crooked in the pic but it's not. Camera angle
    [​IMG]
    I still need to install my entrance on the right side. found an old door at the habitat for humanity store, I'm going to cut to fit. and need to do roofing and Bird entrance.
    The flock will be here this weekend and I still have a bunch to do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by