Started the new Coop, Updated

Bird Hearder

Songster
11 Years
Apr 10, 2008
Salisbury, Md.
I haven't had chickens for a few years now but starting over.
So this is the start. We have a nice shady location out back on the property, (almost an acre) Shaded from afternoon sun.
I only plan on about 6-12 Birds for the eggs.

floorkt0.jpg

framingpr5.jpg

I have a couple af questions.
1) I've been seeing talk about a Dropping bin. below the roost. How high should the top of the roost Be for them to be able to get up to it?
2) Nesting Box? I have read thay they will take turns using the same box to lay. Is this true? or should I have more than 1 box, Seperate Stalls
smile.png

any other pointers appreciated.
Thanks
BH

Last edited:
If you think they will have trouble getting up to the roosts, you can always add a small ladder. I would put roosts anywhere below the top foot and a half.

Birds like to roost up high, but you can also add other roosts below the top one.

I read there should be 1 nesting box per 4 hens, so if you have 12 hens, three would suffice.

I love your coop so far. We need to work on ours more this weekend.

Hi Bh,
Nice coop
I didnt bother with a dropping bin. I just clean out the coop once a month or so. I have 6 chickens. They really are no trouble at all.
I have two nests and they use them both. Never the same each day. sometimes all eggs in one nest, other times 3 and 3 so on....

Nice to see another Marylander joining us WELCOME. I have 11 hens in baltimore county. I use a pastured poultry tractor system for my 11 egg laying hens. I have about an acre.

Good luck,
Henry

I have an ascending roost using thick branches: first branch is 12” off the ground they are 12” apart & go up to about 4’ high!

I started at 12” off ground because I have some heavy breeds that will develop leg problems from coming off a roost that is to high!

A covered dropping pit will keep the chickens from walking in poop: which is much healthier for them! It will also keep the rest of the coop cleaner.

Quote:
I used Cynder blocks as a riser to keep the wood off the ground. you sort of see in the pic where I framed in a 2x6 pad to sit on blocks. Only ended up having to shim 1 corner about a 1/4 in. to level.

A covered dropping pit will keep the chickens from walking in poop: which is much healthier for them! It will also keep the rest of the coop cleaner

I read online about a Poop box with the roost's sitting right above it, the top was hinged and had outside framing for easy cleaning, litter or shavings in the box gets removed. Then floor shavings go in the box. fresh on floor.
I'm just trying to figure out whats better before I get to far into it. I'd rather do it now then once it's all closed up.
Thanks for the help
BH​

im following the advice given as well.

the removable tray, or "drawer" for mess under the roosting area seems like a great way for me to spend less time inside the coop trying to sweep or shovel or whatever the mess out.

remove drawer, dump where you want it, that seems much simpler to me.

I would make a post to ask to see roost & droping pit!

You want to make it as easy to clean as possible weather you have 6 or 12!

you want to have an outside door that you can empty out in wheel barrel & dump!!!

I'm getting closer. It's not turning out to bad for an electrician
tongue.png
I can't remember the last time I built anything LOL

some frame work
framing2kt7.jpg

Wild rafters
coop004jy9.jpg

Roosts
coop011bq9.jpg

Looks crooked in the pic but it's not. Camera angle
coop018yi2.jpg

I still need to install my entrance on the right side. found an old door at the habitat for humanity store, I'm going to cut to fit. and need to do roofing and Bird entrance.
The flock will be here this weekend and I still have a bunch to do.

Back
Top Bottom